Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Came out this morning to discover some sort of electrical problem -- car won't turn over at all, like a battery failure, but the lights work and the indicators on the dash do; however the electronic door locks don't and one or two other things don't either. Floor on the driver's side is damp, I think I may have a small leak in the roof. Could this be a short or a blown fuse? I can't see how it's the battery since some of the functions work.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
Re: Fuse? Short?
MarcW - 8 years ago
JackintheBoxster
Came out this morning to discover some sort of electrical problem -- car won't turn over at all, like a battery failure, but the lights work and the indicators on the dash do; however the electronic door locks don't and one or two other things don't either. Floor on the driver's side is damp, I think I may have a small leak in the roof. Could this be a short or a blown fuse? I can't see how it's the battery since some of the functions work.

Probably neither. Most likely water that the cabin leak lets in has fouled the security control module under the seat. (Passenger seat?)

You will have to locate the module and remove the seat and throughly dry the module and any water. The sooner the better. Any delay just lets corrosion attack the fine connectors. Handle the module with care.

Then you'll have to find and fix the cabin leak. If it is the roof then a new roof will have to be fitted. New canvas and the rubber sheet that is under the canvas.

But be sure the body water drains on either side of the battery and under the battery are working right along with a water drain on either side of the rear window.

Check the doors for water inside. Feel the bottoms for dampness and give each door a shake listening for any sloshing.

Might add for the benefit of others any suspected water leak into the cabin should be treated as a very serious problem and dealt with as soon as possible. In the mean time the car should not be washed, or exposed to rain, or fog, or even dew.

The body water drains must be kept clear of any trash build up. Any electrical gremlins that affect the window operation or door lock operation must be suspected of being water caused -- water in the door -- until this explanation is eliminated.

Water in the cabin of one of these cars is cause for serious concern.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login