Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I am considering getting this harness which appears to easily create an AUX jack for my older CDR system. Has anyone tried this - or is there a better choice?

[www.discountcarstereo.com]
Do you have the CD changer? This cable requires there to be one, it says. I bought the Becker AUX adapter for my 2001 CDR.

Al
There is DIY out there to easily get AUX without the CD changer.

But I would prefer both. And if I ever sell, the buyer will likely want both - and to know that the harness has not been hacked at all.
... are you using as source?
I ask, because this setup will not charge your source.
There are other options that also offer charging and or Bluetooth.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
and, yes, I just bought the brand new Blackberry Classic to replace my aging Bold. The new phone has most of the bells and whistles of an Android phone, with the benefit of Blackberry keyboard and security. My IT guy is actually thinking about switching from his Android to the new Classic or Passport.

Re: power, I can use a USB charger in the lighter port (and I probably will), but the battery lasts a really long time in any event. I have been using an FM transmitter, with mixed results. In the NYC metro area, there is a lot of interference. But on longer travels, there is less.

This harness seems to work out several problems. It is clearly plug and play, it is easily reversible, it allows the CD changer to remain in use.
I do however, wonder how long I will regularly use the changer once I get used to MP4's. At present, I use CD's around town (in all cars) just for ease of setup. On longer trips, I use both, but obviously MP4's are WAY more compact. I continue to buy CD's because I want to OWN the music so I can download into any device I hereafter get.

As you note, charging remains an issue. It appears that the apple harness, provides charging, but I can't tell for sure.
If there is a better harness which is as easily installed, I am all ears. Hence the post.
I have, long ago fitted the factory CD changer and rear speakers. Neither of which came with the car.
We used that exact kit back in 2005 for testing out various MP3 players with the Becker radio...
[www.rainydaymagazine.com]

Very simple, but obviously not if you want to charge the device during use...so can be a problem for smartphones and such on a long drive (Boston to NYC for example).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login