Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I won't keep you in suspense. The gas cap tether.

Picked up a new cap/tether today at local dealer. Parts department had one in stock. $29 with tax. (0.95% -- welcome to CA!...)

Installed it myself. Oh, I checked with a tech and he walked me through the procedure. Drive a plastic rivet pin out and then remove the old tether anchor and use the old rivet and pin to secure the new tether in place.

A bit of a gotcha... Be sure to cover the drain hole in the basin. If the pin falls in to there it is lost and one needs a new rivet. I taped over the hole with masking tape, two pieces just in case. Might add the newer models have a slightly different procedure the tech covered it but I don't recall what he said now.

Anyhow, for my 2002 Boxster it almost takes longer to type in the above than it took to do the job.

With the old cap out I was able to have a close look at the old cap. The rubber seal is very cracked. Some cracks extend in from the edge almost to the point the crack is in the shiny part of the seal where it mates against the gas tank filler tube. A gas cap leak was not that far away.
Do you get Pano? There was a great artilce in there about a guy who put 571,000 miles on his 996 in 12 years. He went through 124 tires, so as you can see, he kept pretty good records of all those miles, including his first flatbed. As the bulk of his miles were highway, his brake pads lasted almost 300K miles and when he had a transmission issue, IIRCC, all the gears but the top one were fine. Interestingly enough, though, will all those miles, he never had the dreaded IMS failure. He now has a Pepper Turbo and 991 Turbo S. I found it to be an interesting read, but you may find it more so as you keep good records of your issues, as well as have a high-mileage Porsche. Oh, I think the service tech ended up buying his car when the Pepper came in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 02:27PM by db997S. (view changes)
Yes, I get the Panorama magazine. I think the vehicle was a 996 Turbo, which if I'm right about the vehicle doesn't have the IMSB issue.

I think I have saved every receipt for consumables of my Boxster but I've not kept track of the # of tires, etc.
I saved all the receipts for my 195K Boxster and had big plans to graph it all out....... didn't.... too much work. Handed a few big folders to Grant when he purchased it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login