Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
So Friday was a bonus day on an awful, biblically wet, weekend.

NNJR-PCA DE at Pocono North Course ( rest of the weekend was IMSA and NASCAR-long).

Car was feeling great with the new brakes (Porterfield R4s) and GT3 control arms (yielding -2.2deg F -1.8R).

Street tires. Have fun watching the heavy-duty machinery fly by me in the Black RG video (but then i dogged them admirably, IMO), through the twisties).

One video is White RG; the other Black, within and hour of each other.

Fun! Tires squealing almost the entire time....

FYI in our club white is intermediate/advanced - all solo drivers.
Black is the adv/expert, and is actually consistently faster than Red (instructors) on average (at least in my observation). Fewer older, slower cars.

White RG Video

Black Run Group Video

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Nice vids, Grant. *NM*
Laz - 8 years ago
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Grant. Leaving your shield up I don't believe is a good idea. I forgot where I read this. If heaven forbid you have a shunt the air bag could take your helmet off. If I'm wrong. Never mind.
My solution would be to remove it. I *am* sure that it makes me see less well - which i *know* is dangerous.

Thanks for the thought either way. Maybe i'll remove it. I tend to keep it on so if i grab it, and drive a bike or truly open car, i have it.

Grant

Grant

... a faster car points you by and then guns it on the straight?
Very smooth and consistent.
I am impressed at how well you held your line even when others didn't.
It takes concentration to do so and not follow the car in front, but it also makes you faster.
Well done Grant!
happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
all your points hit the nail on the head. Since, i think, every car on the track was faster than me in a straight line, i get my share of frustration. If i happen to take a passenger of some ilk I generally command all aboard to "pedal dammit, pedal" :-)

Honestly, if i drove some of the lines i follow i think i'd have to enter turns slower, and then i could not make up the speed, since i'm foot to floor anyway. Its really a good learning tool - the slow car is.

I do appreciate the watch and commentary.

Grant

Grant

As long as we are talking about DE's, I might as well add mine to the story. Now living in FL and doing track events is so much fun; but, all the tracks are flat down here. So, I have started my bucket list of tracks I need to drive on. The first was VIR which is rated in the top five road courses in the US. It is very smooth and had hills. I went to VIR just a few weeks ago. What a blast. It took me a few laps thru the Uphill Esses and to be able to take turn #10 faster and then the 50 ft blind drop off to turn #11. After the back straight the drop off was 100 ft thru Roller Coaster and Hog Pen. I will be heading back to VIR next year again.

This fall besides the many trips to Sebring, I am going to Road Atlanta. More hills and blind turns. Can't wait for the new challenge.

My one lap at VIR. The blue Porsche is a dedicated track race car. I was sort of able to keep up with the yellow Ferrari at least in the turns; but, he walked away from me in the straights. Enjoy...............

[www.youtube.com]
This was my last track event at VIR a few weeks ago. My first trip out of the flat track @ Sebring and the banks @ Homestead. It was exciting to have a blind drop off after the first up hill and a 100 ft drop off at the end of the back straight. I'm going to Road Atlanta this fall. I love a new challenge.

Enjoy my one lap at VIR. [www.youtube.com]
Right on the apexes, generally tracking out well, very smooth.

Hard to see everything with the front mounted camera (iPhone on dash i presume?).

VIR was the track that converted me. It was just so ... different from most beginner-friendly tracks. Long, complex, elevation and camber changes - its a great track.

Car's fast!

Grant

Grant

grant
Hard to see everything with the front mounted camera (iPhone on dash i presume?).

I use a GoPro mounted upside down next to the right side of the rear view mirror. What do you mean by "hard to see everything"? I don't need to see my heal & toe shifting as I'm like a pro driver, now with PDK in auto. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2015 09:15PM by Harvey in FL. (view changes)
Whenever i use a forward mounted camera, it tends to smooth things out (perception) considerably. one of the main reasons i run a camera all the time it to catch my own errors, habits, etc - a learning tool.

FYI mine is also mounted upside down, from the roll bar.

Happy 4th

Grant

Nice driving Harvey and Grant!, very smooth....I'm heading to VIR this weekend and will try to emulate your smooth driving....can't wait! I feel your pain with the high HP blowby, I will be the slowest car in my group this weekend, pretty much all the others are Z06s, Z07s, GT3s, 911 Turbos, M3s, and late model Caymen and 911s....nothing you can do sometimes but it fun staying with them in the curvy sections.
high HP blowbys .. and that 914 early in the Black video. that wasn't an old 1.8 in the mid compartment
Very light, about 2350 lbs, and i think mid-high 200s HP from a "not even close to stock" motor (its a later 911 motor, not 914 motor). Slicks, much wider track (did you see the bodywork) - and yet fabulous, conours condition. owned by a relatively noted automotive artist (side job/avocation, but know for taking photos and rendering them to look almost impressionistic).

Note he was the one car i had to point by *in the middle of a turn*. That was a "how the heck did you just get there?" moment. He also thanked me later since i didnt make him break stride...nice

G

Grant

that was a nice looking modded 914. slicks and all. can't say that's the norm for most 914 plastic surgery.

i'd like to say more about the car but it, ahh, blew by youuuuuuu (! yuk yuk).
some pics of the restoration job:

[vehiclecraft.com]

Now, Mr trashy Talker, I, being polite, lifted for the turn so he could "blow by" safely. Harumph.

Yea, he was quick in the twisties

Grant

Grant

.. and green is a sneaky color. Easy to lose on the infield background I'm sure.

And a full roll cage. What, does that mean the stock car wouldn't have saved me back in 77?

Would be fun to drive Foster's car. Of course Porsche toned the original 914 down so it wouldn't compete with the 911 (ha ha).

Thanks for the vids.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login