Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
There's nothing in the owner's manual about routine maintenance for the AC unit - anyone know if there's a recommendation about checking the refrigerant level, or replacing after "X" years?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Re: AC Maintenance
MarcW - 8 years ago
Ed from Long Island
There's nothing in the owner's manual about routine maintenance for the AC unit - anyone know if there's a recommendation about checking the refrigerant level, or replacing after "X" years?

Thanks,

Ed

There is no refrigerant replacement schedule or even a check for the amount of refrigerant in the system. There is no level per se. I believe the amount of refrigerant in the system is based on weight. So to know if the amount in the system is correct the system would have to be evacuated and the amount of refrigerant noted (along with whatever compressor oil came out too).

The only "maintenance" for my cars' A/C systems over the years is to when there is one -- only the Porsches have had this -- change the cabin air filter once in a while. The sign I use to know when to change the filter is when the A/C system emits a bit of an off odor when first turned on -- this odor is from the (activated charcoal) filter as replacing it eliminates the odor. Keep the radiator ducts free of trash and be sure both radiator fans are operational. (Over the years I've had both fans on the 996 go out and one go on the Boxster). Keep an eye out for any leak sign. Use the system regularly to circulate the refrigerant and oil and keep the seals pliant and A/C compressor lubed.

I don't think the A/C system in my 2002 Boxster has ever received any thing other than the "maintenance" I described above. The system blows cold air pretty soon after being turned on.

If you suspect your car's A/C is not performing up to snuff the factory service manual has a "test" that given the ambient temperature the acceptable ranges of the temperature of the air out the center vent when the system is set to maximum cooling. For practice I did this test once using a digital cooking thermometer. But now I just note that within moments after I turn on the A/C cold air appears and after a bit of running the cabin temperature is ok -- I set the auto climate control to 72F -- and the cabin vent fan speed falls to below half speed, which is a good sign the system is working properly. Have to mention of course how long it takes the cold air to appear and the cabin to get comfortable depends upon ambient temperature and how hot the car is.
Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2015 04:43PM by Ed from Long Island. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login