Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
A friend's. Base model, stick shift, standard suspension. Goodyears (same brand as on my car.) Observation in a word: refined. There's a sense of elegance and gentility about the interior look and feel, even with its standard interior, that the Boxster lacks. The braking and ride feel the same, but the exhaust note is powerful yet not raucous, and the shifter, perhaps having a more direct path to the transmission is beautifully smooth and quiet. (Actually, my 01 Box's 5 speed feels like this.) The steering seems to have a bit more of the hydraulic system's texture, but maybe it's imaginary. Back to the ride for a moment: both our cars have Goodyears, and overall the ride seems identical, having the standard suspension with its greater travel allowed it to pass through a chuckhole without hitting the bumpstops, as occurred with PASM'S lowness.The form and fit of the sunroof is amazing. I couldn't really push it, but the acceleration and low-end feel similar to the Boxster S, so I don't feel I'm missing 35 hp and whatever the torque difference is. Fantastic looking in black. Pictures can't do it justice.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Last fall I had the opportunity to drive a C4s cab for a couple of weeks in Europe. Although it was a marvelous car, I really could not see that much of an advantage over the Boxster S - except perhaps on the autobahn where the extra hp did make a difference in the high speed runs. In the mountains, I felt the 4S was a little better planted due to the 4 wheel drive, but for part of the drive we were led by an ex-Porsche factory guy in a 981S and he had no problem keeping ahead of us. As far as the interior, I did not feel that the 911 was any better, just a little different on the top of dash - although the fact that I have full leather on my 981S may make a difference. No doubt both cars are great - but I can't see the extra bucks for the 911 unless I lived in Europe and traveled on the autobahn frequently.
Cheers!

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
compares favorably with most other sports cars. However 50+ years of development and refining are embodied in the 911. Yes, the majority of it has fortunately been carried over to the Boxster, but my report was as much about subtleties as anything. Concerning long distance drives, my Boxster was perfectly comfortable on the 8500 mile transcontinental trip I made. Also, I would think a Boxster is as stable at autobahn speeds as the 911; probably more so because its longitudinal center of mass is farther forward, and its aerodynamic center of pressure may be farther back. (Why arrows have fletching.) The ~1" longer wheelbase helps a bit, too.
You may be right about autobahn speeds - but the higher power and top speed of the C4s made a difference. At 161 mph, the C4S still had something left, while I imagine a Boxster would be getting pretty close to maxed out. Of course, comparing a Boxster S to a C4s is a little unfair. I suspect that there would not be much difference between a Boxster S and a base 911 cab.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
The trans ratios are different, too, along with the 7th gear, which I think is not for top speed. I suppose the comparison should be made up to six speeds.
Just a few observations / questions.

Would the comparison have been much different if your were comparing the Carrera interior to a Cayman interior? The openness (with the roof down) or more enclosed feeling with less window area, side and back (with top up) of the Boxster would certainly give a much different feel from a coupe either way.

When I compare the Boxster/Cayman interior to a 991, except for the 2 extra instruments and the top of the dash, everything else is the same from switches to steering wheel(s), seats and even interior of the doors. So I'm wondering where the perceived difference comes in.

The ride quality such as compliance to rough roads can be affected by a number of different factors. Just the ride height, with PASM being 10mm lower and size of wheels / tires will make a difference. Then there's the extra 130 lb of the Carrera.

Just wondering.
Good points
Laz - 8 years ago
• The enclosed space is "cozier." Top up/windows closed makes the difference a lot less significant. (See the third point, below.)
• The motor is farther back and apparently more acoustically isolated.
• Perhaps it's my car's particular engine, but the valve train sounds noisier and the exhaust is more guttural and often spits on deceleration. (Dealer says everything's ok.) Those side intakes certainly add induction drama, which I definitely enjoy.
• His car's interior is black, mine is blue, so there is the psychological effect of having a dare I say, somber color. Decades ago JBL did experiments with loudspeakers that differed only in the grill color. The result was most everyone thought the ones with red (other colors, too?) sounded brighter than enclosures with black grills.
• The rides felt essentially identical, but beware hitting a speed bump at even a fairly slow speed, let alone a pothole. The lowered body gets the moving parts to the bump stops a lot sooner, and with a real bang. (Wheels, tires, tire pressures are fine.) Oh, aside from both having Goodyears, both have 19s.
• Not sure if the weight factors in much, nor would the 1" wheelbase difference, the Boxster being the longer and hypothetically more comfortable.
Laz
• The enclosed space is "cozier." Top up/windows closed makes the difference a lot less significant. (See the third point, below.)
• The motor is farther back and apparently more acoustically isolated.
• Perhaps it's my car's particular engine, but the valve train sounds noisier and the exhaust is more guttural and often spits on deceleration. (Dealer says everything's ok.) Those side intakes certainly add induction drama, which I definitely enjoy.
• His car's interior is black, mine is blue, so there is the psychological effect of having a dare I say, somber color. Decades ago JBL did experiments with loudspeakers that differed only in the grill color. The result was most everyone thought the ones with red (other colors, too?) sounded brighter than enclosures with black grills.
• The rides felt essentially identical, but beware hitting a speed bump at even a fairly slow speed, let alone a pothole. The lowered body gets the moving parts to the bump stops a lot sooner, and with a real bang. (Wheels, tires, tire pressures are fine.) Oh, aside from both having Goodyears, both have 19s.
• Not sure if the weight factors in much, nor would the 1" wheelbase difference, the Boxster being the longer and hypothetically more comfortable.

I agree about the side intakes. They do make quite a difference to the sound. I find there's even a definite difference between windows up or down (with the top down in both instances.) And, with the 981 having an intake on each side, you now get it in stereo.

I'm sure that the sound (just as the colour of the speakers you mentioned.) makes a difference in the perceived performance. I find on the odd occasion that I forget to hit the Sports Exhaust, it feels as if the car doesn't have as much get up and go and just doesn't sound quite the way it should. A quick glance at the console and sure enough SE isn't engaged. Yet we know that Porsche makes no performance gain claim for the SE. It's just one of those things that helps to create the total sports car experience. As they say, "The whole is more than the sum of its parts."
Yet we know that Porsche makes no performance gain claim for the SE. It's just one of those things that helps to create the total sports car experience. As they say, "The whole is more than the sum of its parts.

I recall reading an article in one of the Porsche Magazines (Excellence, Panorama, or Christophorus) when the GTS models of either the Boxster or Cayman came out that the increased hp was atributable to retuning the chip and a small amount from the PSE. I suspect that the hp gain is so small that if is largely imperceptible but it does appear from that interview that there is a small gain.
...and the steering is a bit heavier. The interiors for for all intents and purposes are the same. 20" wheels, PASM, PSE made very subtle differences, and the 7MT made all the difference winking smiley If they were the same price, wouldn't just about everyone have a 991?

My next one will be a 2016 Cayman 6MT I'm thinking...PASM, 19" wheels, 2.7L, probably PSE, and some other stuff.....just a weekend play toy.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2015 03:37PM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
Hi Gary. Given you've owned a 911 and currently own a Macan (both the S and Turbo are quick), I'm intrigued by your proposed Cayman config - base engine, rather than the larger engine.

I've not heard PSE on a 981 2.7. I'm curious as to its sound compared to that of a PSE-equipped 981 S.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login