Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
You'd think he'd know.
Laz - 8 years ago
Pulled out onto a road in my neighborhood and in the distance coming along the same way was a Seal Grey 986. Wasn't my friend in my old one, but as we both had our tops down I made a pretty obvious wave of acknowledgement. No reaction. Then we were stopped at a light and I waved and gave a thumbs up. Nothing. Now, I can understand this lack of reaction coming with younger or non-sports car Porsche drivers, but this guy was 60-ish like me. His car looked to be in great shape so it didn't seem to be a case of some skell who found a junker and didn't know the Porsche brethren lore. Oh, well, just posting anecdotally, but ain't gonna lose sleep over it.
I agree. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. To some people it's just a car. May be special to them or not. If not, it's likely that they don't know and don't care about the history and kinship.

I always give / return the wave. If I don't get one back, I see it as their loss. Maybe they didn't see it, maybe no passion. If that's how they lead their whole life, they're just surviving life. Sad if that's the case.
Some people are simply unfriendly. Where I work, our company has a gym in the building. I'm usually in there at 6:30 in the morning. I've looked people in the eye in coming or going into the gym an say good morning, and nothing. Here we are working at the same place, dedicated enough to be up early to workout, and even with those things in common, you get nothing. So, don't take it personally. Most people are idiots, even if you have the say interests and passions.
generator went bad. A few months later I stopped for a 911 parked on the shoulder of the Sunrise Highway on Long Island. This guy's car was ok, & I don't recall why he was pulled over. In my case my dad came in with my sister's Beetle and towed me back home. We tied a rope to one of the front control arms. The toll taker at the Verrazano was quite astonished.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 12:26PM by Laz. (view changes)
Laz
generator went bad. A few months later I stopped for a 911 parked on the shoulder of the Sunrise Highway on Long Island. This guy's car was ok, & I don't recall why he was pulled over. In my case my dad came in with my sister's Beetle and towed me back home. We tied a rope to one of the front control arms. The toll taker at the Verrazano was quite astonished.

I think, though, that courtesy isn't an exclusive to Porsche drivers, although most I've met are courteous and helpful.

One particular incident comes to mind. We were pulled over at a stop on the Blue Ridge Parkway. My wife was getting something out of the rear trunk and I had the frunk open to grab some drinks when, an SUV with a friendly NC couple pulled up and asked if we were having car trouble and could he help. So I explained that this car had two trunks. The guy took another look and started to laugh and said, "I shoulda known. That's one of those Porsches. Nice lookin car."
db997S
Some people are simply unfriendly. Where I work, our company has a gym in the building. I'm usually in there at 6:30 in the morning. I've looked people in the eye in coming or going into the gym an say good morning, and nothing. Here we are working at the same place, dedicated enough to be up early to workout, and even with those things in common, you get nothing. So, don't take it personally. Most people are idiots, even if you have the say interests and passions.

I tend to agree. I wouldn't call them idiot, but some people are either so wrapped up in themselves, got other things on their mind, tuned out of the real world that they just don't notice the real world around them.

Out for a walk to day, crossed paths with 6 people coming the other way. Gave each one my usual, "good morning". One gave me almost simultaneous "good morning" with a smile. Two returned a mumbled "morning". The other three - nothing. One might have been language barrier. One had earphones on and one was busy texting, keeping connected with the rest of world, just not the immediate one.

Relating it back the Porsche flash/wave, the populating is no different. Just because someone can afford (or go in debt for) a Porsche, doesn't mean they're friendly or even know how to drive. Just look at the number of 918 Spyders that have already been crashed.
especially because the guy was in a Porsche sports car, and that it was a Boxster, therefore I don't think it was an identification issue on his part. He was with, possibly a grandkid, and turned into the local high school to drop him/her off, & I would think he'd get a kick from running that "errand," so I discount grumpiness. I'm neutral concerning public encounters with strangers, and just play it by "eye" particularly when walking on a local rail trail. Seeing earbuds & dark glasses dissuades me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 01:18PM by Laz. (view changes)
Here in the San Francisco bay area in the past there was a weekly sports car section in the Chronicle. At that time if you had ANY sports car you would do the flash or wave. The author of the section would always remind readers to flash.
Maybe California overall just because the Porsche population is so huge. Don't know if it still is, but at one time I think California was Porsche's single biggest market. My brief experience going along the Las Vegas strip is the number of exotics is overwhelming, so a Porsche wave or flash is less compelling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 01:38PM by Laz. (view changes)
Showing my age now - I remember when I was young, almost all sports car owners, regardless of make, would flash or wave. This was back in the days when I was driving things like an MG-TD, an AMX (sort of a sports car), 914-6 or an MGB. Didn't matter whether the other guy was driving a Triumph, Corvette or XK-E. Never had a Ferrari flash though - of course I only saw one or two of those back then.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 03:43PM by Lawdevil & CURVN8R. (view changes)
"Hey, a guy in a new Boxster gave me a thumb's up! That was cool!"
... a resto red version of me!
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login