Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
My 981S is a little over three years old. I noticed yesterday that a small strip of clear vinyl/urethane behind the rear wheel well and at the front of the rear bumper cover is beginning to peel. My car had the Xpel "invisible bra" installed on the front clip - including the mirrors, door edge and door handle cups. My question is: is this clear strip factory installed or installed by the Xpel guy? I just want to know so I will know whether to claim under the Porsche warranty or go talk to the Xpel installer. Thanks

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Lawdevil & CURVN8R
My 981S is a little over three years old. I noticed yesterday that a small strip of clear vinyl/urethane behind the rear wheel well and at the front of the rear bumper cover is beginning to peel. My car had the Xpel "invisible bra" installed on the front clip - including the mirrors, door edge and door handle cups. My question is: is this clear strip factory installed or installed by the Xpel guy? I just want to know so I will know whether to claim under the Porsche warranty or go talk to the Xpel installer. Thanks

It must be the Xpel. There are no clear protective pieces on the exterior of my 981 except for the clear-bra I had installed.
Guenter, that is a little surprising. There is also a piece of clear film just in front of the rear wheel wells. I don't know who put it there but I recall my 987 had a similar piece in the same spot and I did not have Xpel on the 987. I don't recall one behind the rear wheel on the 987, but I wasn't really paying attention.
I could have missed the one behind the rear wheel because it is almost invisible. It just covers the one inch lip around the rear wheelwell.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Lawdevil & CURVN8R
Guenter, that is a little surprising. There is also a piece of clear film just in front of the rear wheel wells. I don't know who put it there but I recall my 987 had a similar piece in the same spot and I did not have Xpel on the 987. I don't recall one behind the rear wheel on the 987, but I wasn't really paying attention.
I could have missed the one behind the rear wheel because it is almost invisible. It just covers the one inch lip around the rear wheelwell.

My 987 had the clear film in front of the rear wheels, but that was it except for the 3M I had installed on the bumper.

The 981 had a rubberized undercoating and painted the car colour along the bottom of the rocker panel and also along the bottom of the rear bumper behind the wheels.
+1--there were no protective clear plastic sheets on the car when we picked it up, unlike the 987. We did have Xpel installed on the hood and sill areas, but not behind the rear wheel wells
The front apron/nose protection on mine is somewhat beat up, including a small tear/peel down at the splitter, but I think I'll get another year out of it. While I don't want the paint to get damaged, I also don't want the protection (and by extension, the overall car) to look like s---. I think of some cars that have those awful looking ribbed, black rubber bumper aprons that makes their cars always look terrible. Then again, I don't street park in a big city.
[ecx.images-amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 12:17PM by Laz. (view changes)
I've had a 986, 986S and a 997S, they all had clear protective film in front of the rear wheel well. None of them ever had it behind the well. It's one of the reasons I've never gotten a clear bra. Wax builds up along the film's edge and the invisible becomes far from it.
Thanks for all the feedback. It seems the consensus is that it was put there by the Xpel installer. I guess it was a "freebie" since it was not listed on his invoice. Rather than try to track him down, and set up an appointment when I will be in Atlanta, I have just "solved" the problem with an Xacto knife and cut off the offending portion. Because of the location, you cannot see it unless you get on the ground from 6 inches away. Even then it is pretty inconspicuous.
Or with S-100 - which is P21S packaged differently for the motorcycle market - at half the price!
thumbs up *NM*
Gary in SoFL - 8 years ago
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
no clear vinyl on my 981 except the Xpel I had installed. I like the Xpel so much, wish I had put in on the entire sides of the car.

Joanne
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login