Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
First time I've noticed that they've "flattened" the tail lights. They no longer have the spoiler line extending into the lights. Tail running lights are now just a straight line which doesn't line up with the spoiler edge.

Front bumper has lost some of its curves.

I do like the biped mirrors that have trickled down from Carrera GTS and Boxster Spyder / Cayman GT4.

[www.worldcarfans.com]
Guenter in Ontario
First time I've noticed that they've "flattened" the tail lights. They no longer have the spoiler line extending into the lights. Tail running lights are now just a straight line which doesn't line up with the spoiler edge.

Front bumper has lost some of its curves.

I do like the biped mirrors that have trickled down from Carrera GTS and Boxster Spyder / Cayman GT4.

[www.worldcarfans.com]

Very informative pics. These are subtle changes for sure, but I don't think enhance the looks of the car.
The spoiler change is interesting; this new style may be more effective from an aero standpoint--at least I hope it is--but aesthetically, it doesn't match the original design--to bad.
MikenOH
Very informative pics. These are subtle changes for sure, but I don't think enhance the looks of the car.
The spoiler change is interesting; this new style may be more effective from an aero standpoint--at least I hope it is--but aesthetically, it doesn't match the original design--to bad.

It's a bit hard to tell, but I don't think there's really much if any change with the spoiler itself. Just that the line ends at the tail lights. I guess they just weren't going fast enough to have the spoiler extended in any of the pictures, but judging from the high res pictures, it appears that the spoiler will extend the same is in the first gen.

I also noticed that the rear diffuser is all closed in. Maybe that's just some camouflage.
On the spoiler front, it looks like the spoiler is fixed and even appears to have the third break light in it, as well as at the top of the trunklid. I've never liked the way the current spoiler line went through the taillights. So, for me, that's a big improvement from a design standpoint.
db997S
On the spoiler front, it looks like the spoiler is fixed and even appears to have the third break light in it, as well as at the top of the trunklid. I've never liked the way the current spoiler line went through the taillights. So, for me, that's a big improvement from a design standpoint.

In the high res. picture of the back and side view, you can see the line between the spoiler and bumper, so I'm sure the spoiler design hasn't changed and it still will raise at highway speeds. The brake/backup light is mounted at the top center of the bumper lip below the spoiler, the same as in the current car.
In the above post I said the brake/backup light. It's actually the backup / fog light that is at the top center of the rear pumper, just under the spoiler.
Although on the Boxster it doesn't extend to the wheel cutouts-- yet, anyway:
[content.worldcarfans.co]
[ferraridiy.com]
… all sport cars will look the same.
There's probably a (1) most efficient design to which all sport car makers are getting closer and closer to.
There was more heart and artistry in the designs of yore IMNSHO.
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Weston, FL)
There was more heart and artistry in the designs of yore IMNSHO.
Pedro

Absolutely. Pininfarina being one strong example.
about the time when you finally pull trigger and get back into a P-car.

I think you've even beaten Abe's longstanding record winking smiley

grinning smileyeye popping smiley smileys with beer the finger smiley hot smiley drinking smiley tongue sticking out smiley smoking smiley
Not in terms of drama, but equivocation, vacillation, oscillation, master... Well, you get the drift. winking smiley

The soaring US $ hasn't helped one bit. I'd ask you to turn down the heat on the USA economy for a few months, but that would likely make things worse, if anything.

Also, I've been busy trying to turn the Allroad into a fire-breathing half-priced, half-sister of the Macan. So far, it's sipping warm tea.

In the meantime, know anyone with a good, used, maroon 997S Cab for sale, cheap? grinning smiley
Laz
Although on the Boxster it doesn't extend to the wheel cutouts-- yet, anyway:
[content.worldcarfans.co]

Nice catch, Laz.
Thanks for posting, Gman.

Here's hoping the phlat 4 will indeed be phat, yo.
A few thoughts:

I like it. No bad news at all, on the styling front.

I haven't done a close comparison - are the rear fenders even flatter on top than the 981.1? I hope not.

I don't mind (I may even like) that the taillights no longer have the appearance of doing double-duty as lights/spoiler. I suspect the spoiler aspect was esthetic.

I like the horizontal crease on the top of the front bumper..

The biped mirrors are, as Gman said, a positive change

I'm not a fan of the fake centre intake in the front bumper - a carry-over from the 981.1. To me, it's the sort of thing I'd not be surprised to see on an entry-level Hyundai.

Word is the navigation screen will be MUCH better than the current one. As a $4500+ option, it sure as h*ll should be. While I fully appreciate that the Boxster is an honest to god sports car, it's lagging in terms of technology, which doesn't bother me terribly. But when Porsche wants your first-born as an admission price to their non-mechanical tech, they need to step up their game.

All in all, these design changes are modest, are for the most part evolutionary, some (the mirrors) are an improvement, and do not, individually or collectively, age the 981.1
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login