Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
So, as some might recall, back when the Cayman GT4 was announced, the short shift it had, caught my attention.

Then a while ago, couple of good friends on this board emailed me a link to the GT4 short shift which was available at an online dealer. I looked into it. Talked to the parts manager at the dealer where I bought the car. He said it wasn't on the NA parts list. He did some checking for me and was able to order one and had the techs check it out. Yup. An exact fit for the 981. Got the email on Monday and just had it installed today.

MikenOH, it's a "gotta have" for you. Your shifts will be faster, hands down. It does for the shifter what the X73 option does for the suspension.

I took some before and after shots. I tried to position the camera as close to the same as possible before and after the instal. In each picture, I superimposed the 1st gear position over the 2nd gear to show the difference. Throws are shorter and the height of the shifter is reduced by 20mm - about 0.8 in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 02:27PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
It was a 60 mi. drive home, shunpiking all the way, so had some time to try it out. I like the way it feels. Gear changes are just quicker. Basically, I can do the 1 - 2 shift with a flick of my fingers.

Oh, and, the additional 25iHP aren't bad either. winking smiley
Guenter in Ontario
So, as some might recall, back when the Cayman GT4 was announced, the short shift it had, caught my attention.

Then a while ago, couple of good friends on this board emailed me a link to the GT4 short shift which was available at an online dealer. I looked into it. Talked to the parts manager at the dealer where I bought the car. He said it wasn't on the NA parts list. He did some checking for me and was able to order one and had the techs check it out. Yup. An exact fit for the 981. Got the email on Monday and just had it installed today.

MikenOH, it's a "gotta have" for you. Your shifts will be faster, hands down. It does for the shifter what the X73 option does for the suspension.

I took some before and after shots. I tried to position the camera as close to the same as possible before and after the instal. In each picture, I superimposed the 1st gear position over the 2nd gear to show the difference. Throws are shorter and the height of the shifter is reduced by 20mm - about 0.8 in.

OMG.. that is the bomb. Great pics, BTW, Guenter.

The only issue I might have with this is additional effort with the shifter. My better half really likes the current setup and might be interested in a shorter shift if the effort wasn't significantly more. Any difference from what you can tell?

If I can ask, what was the cost of this?
MikenOH

OMG.. that is the bomb. Great pics, BTW, Guenter.

The only issue I might have with this is additional effort with the shifter. My better half really likes the current setup and might be interested in a shorter shift if the effort wasn't significantly more. Any difference from what you can tell?

If I can ask, what was the cost of this?

There is very little extra effort with the shifter. It's smooth and precise. I can actually do the 1- 2 shift just by flicking my fingers back.

I'll PM you about the price.
It would be smart to use it for awhile before labeling this mod a 'gotta have'. Your early report comes under the heading of 'confirmation bias.' The kit, which many of us got email notice of a while ago, cost $400 (USA) plus installation, and from other installation reports the mechanism looks exactly like any existing 981/991 stock assembly.

Basically all it does is reduce shift knob height by 2 cm, so you may find your shifts are wee bit shorter and ever so slightly crisper, but you might have noticed that several months ago Top Gear Magazine said the GT4 shifter was "not as exquisitely precise as on the GTS", so who knows.

There was another GT4 article several months ago that stated Porsche chose not to change the GT4 gearbox because they wanted to preserve the excellent 981 shift feel...if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so probably they just cut the lever down by 2 cm and called it better. Certainly not worth an installed kit cost of over $400.

However there is an answer to g-man's never ending quest to shorten up an activity he enjoys so much: g-man's Ultimate Short Shifter

Yeah, yeah, yeah....YMMV. smileys with beer

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary in SoFL

However there is an answer to g-man's never ending quest to shorten up an activity he enjoys so much: g-man's Ultimate Short Shifter

Gosh. Someday I'll figure out what I like and want, thanks to you Gary. Really appreciate you looking out for me.

....and that "Ultimate Short Shifter" is actually a No Shifter, or I guess you can get it with flippers so you can "thumb and forefinger" as Grant had said.
Just trying to help you think 'outside the box', and expand your horizon, g-man. smiling bouncing smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary in SoFL
Certainly not worth an installed kit cost of over $400.

I'm not so sure about that, Gary. I know of someone who spent over $1500 customizing his steering wheel, and on a smile per mile basis, the payback took less than an afternoon.

But then, what's a steering wheel but a principal interface with the car. I can't imagine anyone would regard a shifter as any sort of equivalent. I mean, after all, there's a whole host of interfaces - a gas pedal, a brake pedal, a steering wheel, a clutch pedal, a shifter, and.... and.... and that's about it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 09:54PM by Roger987. (view changes)
A reduced shifter height effectively reduces the length of the shift throw. Other things being equal, a reduced throw length is, in my books, desirable. And, I dare say, if others didn't think so, Porsche wouldn't have built this shifter.

Thanks for sharing the pics, and your experience, Gman.
Better buy one before this 'gotta have' kit is all gone, Roger.

Reduced shift throw is is better to a point, but the added effort to shift might not be.

I superimposed your superimposition. It looks like the angle is identical but the length has changed.

You could be right. I just know that it feels better and shifts are just naturally faster.

I guess if someone wnted to try it, they could cut 20mm off the shift rod and see if the shift knob will fit over the grooves that are left.
Looks Great Guenter.. Thanks for Sharing those pics...really cool how you super imposed the pics to show the difference in the throws.

At first I thought you put in another shifter for the passenger...but I guess that would get complicated ..grinning smiley

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS
Looks Great Guenter.. Thanks for Sharing those pics...really cool how you super imposed the pics to show the difference in the throws.

At first I thought you put in another shifter for the passenger...but I guess that would get complicated ..grinning smiley

I think you've hit on something there, Mike. Then all I'd have to do is also install a steering wheel on the passenger side. That way if the driver has been enjoying some Scotch, the passenger would be able to drive home. grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login