Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
MX-5
JackintheBoxster - 8 years ago
Has anyone driven or seen the new MX-5 in the flesh? I think the pictures are pretty impressive; the initial articles are positive but car magazines can be pretty fawning.

I am concerned that with the Boxster's relentless march up the foodchain into 911 territory and the cancellation of the 550, the Miata will have a monopoly on basic, tossable sports cars.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
JackintheBoxster

I am concerned that with the Boxster's relentless march up the foodchain into 911 territory and the cancellation of the 550, the Miata will have a monopoly on basic, tossable sports cars.

From anything that's been said by Porsche management, there's no indication that their interested in building cars in the Miata segment. Their view is that an entry level Porsche is a used Porsche.
Sadly...
JackintheBoxster - 8 years ago
that may be part of the problem. They seem less interested in the basic sportscar consumer than those aspiring toward the 911.

I guess I wonder whether the weaknesses of past Miatas remain.
No, but
grant - 8 years ago
I've driven several gen 1 and gen 2 cars, and recently drove two students' gen 2 cars on the track. Impressive - very neutral, good feedback, moderately solid, slow (you knew that, right) - feels faster than it is though. There are many options to increase horsepower and a few of them in "red" pulled away from me on the straights.

If i knew then what i know now, i'd have seriously considered it way back when.

But then again, old boxsters are nicer, and not that bad on maint, excepting something catastrophic.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
is that one of the reasons Porsche will but 4 Cylinder Turbos in there 2016 Boxster Model line? Maybe Porsche will price the base boxster turbo somewhat within reach. Maybe 10K over the top line GT Mazda. We will find out soon.
Nope, going 4 cylinder Turbos due to emission rules and fuel mileage requirements, not to go down market in price (even Porsche's 911s, with the exception of the GT3, will be turbo coupled with smaller engines). It's the wave of the future, unfortunately. I lived through it in the 70s with the oil embargo, but back then, technology was lagging worse than turbos at the time. Now, you can do more with less. Back in the 70s, we did less with less. The oil embargo killed the Mustang and the muscle car. That wouldn't happen today. Even with small-displacement engines, turbo lag has gone the way of the dinosaur. Direct Fuel Injection, computers, etc., are making great strides with smaller engines--increased power with increased fule mileage and less junk coming out of the tailpipe. I think Turbos will be on all cars, with the exception of your super cars, which will forgo the boost for electronic engines to help increase horsepower and torque. Electric motors are very torquey.
Latest Panorama has a blurb about 'electric' turbochargers to further eliminate lag. Can't wait!

Here's another reference: [www.greencarreports.com]
Re: No, but
MikenOH - 8 years ago
grant
I've driven several gen 1 and gen 2 cars, and recently drove two students' gen 2 cars on the track. Impressive - very neutral, good feedback, moderately solid, slow (you knew that, right) - feels faster than it is though. There are many options to increase horsepower and a few of them in "red" pulled away from me on the straights.

If i knew then what i know now, i'd have seriously considered it way back when.

But then again, old boxsters are nicer, and not that bad on maint, excepting something catastrophic.

G

There is a reason spec miata is the biggest racing group in the country--low entry cost, replacement parts are plentiful and cheap, very reliable and a well designed car.
I know 3 guys that have gone the spec miata route.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login