Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
In the discussion below, Stefan commented that the 981 short shifter appears shorter than, but otherwise the same as, the regular shifter.

Guenter wondered whether one could simply cut 20mm off the standard shifter shaft, to produce the same result.

My question (because I don't have a 981 shifter to look at), would the knob still attach correctly, or, in cutting off 20 mm, would one be removing or altering the attachment point?

[pedrosboard.com]
Here is a picture of the stock shifter in 2nd gear position as it would be seen from the driver's seat.

The shaft coming out of the U joint is 4" = 100mm long
The groove around the shaft is 1 1/8" = 30mm from the bottom
The lengthwise groove running down the shaft (one on either side of the shaft) is 1 3/8' = 34 mm long

I'm sure Pedro or Stefan can explain how the shift knob attaches.

981 424 010 00 is the stock shifter part number
981 424 010 20 is the short shift part number

No idea how the mechanism itself differs (or doesn't) in the two shifters.
Short...shorter...shortest. drinking smiley

They are all short shifters....just drive a stock short 981 shift and you'll see just how great it is, and at precisely the right height and location from the steering wheel for most.

As reported by multiple PCA mod wrenches, the mechanism is identical.

Hack it from the bottom of the shaft if you dare, and the cover and knob will simply slip back on.

This is this is a distinction without a difference, but have fun with it If you're getting a manual 981, Roger.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Thanks, Gman. Good photo.

I'm hoping Pedro or Stefan will weigh in. Pedro is the master of modification/adaptation, and Stefan certainly knows his way around Pcars.

Gary, that may not be a bad idea( cutting it from the bottom), but I don't know whether the shaft can be removed, to cut off a chunk of the bottom. And there appears to be a circular grove in the lower part, perhaps as a the boot attachment point.
Roger987
Thanks, Gman. Good photo.

I'm hoping Pedro or Stefan will weigh in. Pedro is the master of modification/adaptation, and Stefan certainly knows his way around Pcars.

Gary, that may not be a bad idea( cutting it from the bottom), but I don't know whether the shaft can be removed, to cut off a chunk of the bottom. And there appears to be a circular grove in the lower part, perhaps as a the boot attachment point.

I've taken a close look at the shaft. It appears to be pressed into the U joint. You can see the end of the shaft on the underside of the U joint. I don't see anything that would allow you to loosen or tighten it into place, so cutting it off on the bottom doesn't seem to be an option. (Well, it is an option, but that would leave you with a super-ultra short micro shifter. grinning smiley )
The two ways in which you can shorten a throw in the shifter is:
1.- shortening the knob's shaft
2.- lengthening the (bottom) fulcrum

The shaft in the 981 is best shortened by removing it from its base and cutting a section off the bottom, then reinserting in the base.
Lengthening the bottom fulcrum is not easily done as a DIY and that's what aftermarket short shifters do generally.
In my car I first installed the short shifter and found it still too long a throw for my liking so I then cut off about 1.5" off of my shifter's knob shaft. That made it just right.
Keep in mind that the shorter the throw the more force it takes to shift.

BTW, the 981's shifter is very different from the 986/987.

Happy Porschen
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Weston, FL)
The two ways in which you can shorten a throw in the shifter is:
1.- shortening the knob's shaft
2.- lengthening the (bottom) fulcrum

The shaft in the 981 is best shortened by removing it from its base and cutting a section off the bottom, then reinserting in the base.
Lengthening the bottom fulcrum is not easily done as a DIY and that's what aftermarket short shifters do generally.
In my car I first installed the short shifter and found it still too long a throw for my liking so I then cut off about 1.5" off of my shifter's knob shaft. That made it just right.
Keep in mind that the shorter the throw the more force it takes to shift.

BTW, the 981's shifter is very different from the 986/987.

Happy Porschen
Pedro

Thanks Pedro. How is the 981's shifter shaft mounted into the base? I don't see any threads or other means of removing it from the base or securing it when you reinsert it. That's why I thought it might be machine pressed into the base and would be very difficult to remove.

Happy short shifting.

Guenter
The shift knob is attached via friction fit with a set screw that goes in the groove. If you cut the shaft it's possible (not necessarily true) that the set screw will be lower than the bottom of the groove. If that's the case you will have to either make a cut for the new position of the screw or not use the set screw.

I have been using a shift knob I carved over 10 years ago out of a block of wood. It uses only friction (no set screw) and have never had an issue other than occasionally having trouble shifting into 1st, 3rd, and 5th. But I don't think that's related to the lack of a set screw.

Boxsterra
The shift knob is attached via friction fit with a set screw that goes in the groove. If you cut the shaft it's possible (not necessarily true) that the set screw will be lower than the bottom of the groove. If that's the case you will have to either make a cut for the new position of the screw or not use the set screw.

I have been using a shift knob I carved over 10 years ago out of a block of wood. It uses only friction (no set screw) and have never had an issue other than occasionally having trouble shifting into 1st, 3rd, and 5th. But I don't think that's related to the lack of a set screw.

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. Any idea what the two grooves going down from the top of the shaft are for? Maybe to keep the shift knob from slipping sideways? I guess that would mean there's a some type of guide built into the stock shift knob.

Good looking pooch by the way. I'd be a little hesitant about shifting into 1st, 3rd and 5th in that situation too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2015 09:21AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
No, and no
Boxsterra - 8 years ago
The dog was super laid back, didn't care about much unless it was a hedgehog or a squirrel. The cup holders on my MY are in the vents near the door. The water bottle in the picture is held in place by aftermarket cupholders (http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/).
Your center console reminded me of my 01's. After a spill that took out the HVAC display,* I had the holder unit taken out, the radio and/or HVAC moved up, and a much needed storage bin put in. I think the CD storage unit was already there.
* The dealer didn't want to cover the replacement, arguing it was my fault, but I insisted it was the flawed design of the holder, as evidenced by the redesign that was already in use on newer cars. They covered it.
ps: Maybe someday there'll be GIF bottle caps with seals clapping.
[stream1.gifsoup.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2015 10:12AM by Laz. (view changes)
Boxsterra

Thanks, Stefan.

I wonder if the attachment mechanism may be different in the 981?
It could be but
Boxsterra - 8 years ago
I was inferring what the 981 mechanism was by looking at the picture of the bare shift apparatus above.
Boxsterra
I was inferring what the 981 mechanism was by looking at the picture of the bare shift apparatus above.

Thanks, Stefan. I'll have to take a close look at it when the time comes. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login