Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
When my '09S was still quite young, I was getting occasional very strange behavior from the PDK: Upon starting up the car and shifting into reverse to back out of my garage, the PDK remained in neutral and the message "Emergency Transmission Run" showed up on the display, with no further information. The only way to get into gear was to shut of the car and re-start it, and even then it would do the same thing about 10% of the time. In other cases, it behaved normally upon restart.

I reported on this here, and the service manager at the time at my local Porsche dealer (IRA Porsche in Danvers, MA, now just "Porsche of Danvers" I guess) said he had no idea what the message meant...while that was annoying, at about the same time I asked about it, there was a silent recall on the high-pressure fuel pump, and upon replacement of that, the issue went away. I assumed they were related, and the problem was solved.

Apparently that wasn't quite true.

Several months ago, the "Emergency Transmission Run" condition returned with a vengeance, occurring perhaps once out of every 3-4 times I started up the car. My indy (Stuttgart Northeast) ran some diagnostics and determined the issue could be low signal strength between PDK and DME. So I ran over to Porsche of Danvers and left the car with them to check out.

It seems that all the car really needed was a software update. Mine is a "launch edition" '09S, and by now it was 25 PDK software revisions out-of-date. Because I whined about having reported this issue way-back-when, they did the updates for me gratis, which was nice. Here's what the write-up said, in case this may be of use to anyone else:

CUSTOMER STATES SOMETIMES THE VEHICLE WILL NOT GO INTO GEAR FORWARD OR REVERSE.
TR117 Transmission Control diagnostics

45794 Checked and found followed fault tree. Found fault p1707 stored. According to Porsche the PDK and DME software need to be updated as a first step for this fault. Found PDK at B067 date level, current data level is T082. Reprogrammed DME and PDK with latest data set. Also corrected missing PDK VIN and recorded PDK and PSM. PDK data level now at T082. The next step will be to remove the valve body and replace temp sensor and install new wiring update per fault tree. Provided quote for updated wiring and sensor.

Actually, I don't think I ever got that quote or even saw that part of the note until now! But bottom line, the Boxster now shifts smoother than it ever has before, and no funky error messages from the PDK. Before the update, I'd often experienced various forms of hesitation from the power train as a result of sudden accelerator pedal movements, either a bit of thrashing or sometimes a short "huff" / "poof" sound. Since the updates, these behaviors have dramatically declined (I think I've experienced a single "poofing" incident, and even that was a bit shorter and less noticeable than they used to be.)

So, if you have an older PDK and haven't updated that software, it might be worth thinking about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2015 11:47AM by Leor ('09S, North of Boston). (view changes)
Shows with todays electronically controlled cars, just how important it is to have software updates done.

Also, specially with cars still under warranty, if there is an issue (specially intermittent once that are hard to find), that it's important to have that issue noted on a work sheet in case that comes up again once the car is out of warranty.

Glad to hear that you car is now running the way it should.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login