Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Ok, it's Consumer Reports, not Chris Harris. But, still CR has its place, and I find their reviews reasonably accurate and objective. They get it right more often than not.

I was somewhat surprised by their observations on ride comfort, as between the 991 and 981, especially given the 981 they tested was on 20" Carrera S wheels.

Ride comfort: The 911's ride is quite tolerable as sports cars go, but if you expect something cushy simply because of the high sticker price, you're in the wrong car. There is a layer of isolation that takes the edge off most bumps, but some impacts come through in a pronounced way at lower speeds, often accompanied by short, quick body motions. As speeds rise, the ride becomes very settled and steady, but the underlying taut feel remains.

Later, they rate the ride as "Fair' and noise as 'Fair'

Ride comfort and noise: The ride is firm and well controlled, but impacts are nicely muted overall. The Boxster is very civilized around town and on the highway, especially for a car with 20-inch tires. With the engine located right behind the driver's head, engine noise is noticeable, but in a good way. A smooth mechanical hum and mellow exhaust note become louder under full throtttle, but it's not a sound enthusiast drivers will find objectionable. Wind and road noise are noticeable in moderate driving even with the top up, but conversation is possible underway with the top up or down thanks, in part to the screened wind blocker behind the seats.

Later, they rate ride as 'Good' and noise as "Good'

I wonder if, with all that weight aft of the rear axle, Porsche uses stiffer springs on the 991.

That aside, other things being equal, the 981's wheelbase, being one inch longer, may help smooth the ride a bit.
This author nails CR perfectly: [www.wsj.com]

Personally, I like the car and would consider one for stable if range fit my driving needs but it doesn't.

Regardless, why are you worried about 981 vs 991 ride differences when you have an awesome new Macan headed your direction? winking smiley
You're jut trying to get me going. grinning smiley

Back in the early 2000's, CR gave the BMW E39 5 series its highest rating for a sedan, ever. It was right; the E39 nailed it.

And they get lots of other cars right, even sports cars. They gave the 991 a road test score of 95. They 'get' it, even for a consumer magazine.

The Macan is a superb SUV, though a bit lacking on the 'utility' end of things - considerably less utility than a Q5, which in turn has less practical utility than an Allroad. But the Macan has more 'sport' than either of them.

But, it's a b*tch to get its roof off. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

And Porsche doesn't offer this wheel on a Macan.

[pedrosboard.com]

Scott, you've almost used your quota of 'free' guesses. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2015 06:00PM by Roger987. (view changes)
CR is a major step up from the adviser he used to buy his 'whatever'......grinning smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary in SoFL
CR is a major step up from the adviser he used to buy his 'whatever'......grinning smiley[/quote

Depends which advisor you're referring to. If it's the guy who made good money on the deal, you're right.

OTOH, if you're referring to my REAL advisor, Gman, well, he's DA MAN ! smiling smiley
Well then, so much for objectiveness, impartiality and open mindedness.... drinking smiley

Best of luck with your whatever new ride. smileys with beer

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
The 991 had PASM, the 981 didn't. Two different drivers though, and that could make all the difference.

Cindy Crawford or Claudia Schiffer. Helluva wonderful first world dilemma.
I think to get a good comparison test you need to have the same driver drive the compared cars back to back under the same conditions.

As we've seen on this board, sports suspension is way too stiff for one person and just right for another.

Same thing with shifter length. We've seen a Short Shifter be too short for one person, just right for another and a third person finds it still too long and shortens it even more.
CR had it exactly right on the 981 stock suspension +20" wheels ride quality--just about perfect for street duty. Firm but not jarring.
The first 981 we drove was an S with stock suspension and 20" rims; we drove in th western suburbs of Cleveland on some pretty broken up roads and car seemed to soak up the bumps without drama.
From what I've read, PASM set on normal may offer a, even slightly more compliant ride than stock. Laz mentioned though, that with 10mm lower ride height, the bump stops may arrive a little sooner.

Guenter's 981 has Carrera S 20" wheels, with sport suspension and I think he finds it as compliant as his 987 had been on Boxster S 18" wheels.

What set-up have you on your 981, Mike?
I've got the sport suspension on 19" wheels.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login