Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Opinion needed...
EricG - 8 years ago
So yesterday, as a gift to myself, I decided to buy a Durametric Pro Edition. Looked up on-line and from the Durametric web site found a Canadian re-seller. Connected to their website and completed the purchase for $921.60 CAD + taxes + shipping. I immediately received confirmation by e-mail that stated:

Thank you for placing your order with "VENDOR"
This email is to confirm your recent order.

Date 09/08/2015
1x Professional kit for $921.60 CAD each
Subtotal : $921.60 CAD
GST : $46.08 CAD
Shipping : $5.00 CAD
Total : $972.68 CAD

About 45 minutes later, I receive another e-mail this time with the following:

Dear Eric,

You did not email for the the most recent price

The price is $970.88 CAD

Please checkout again

Note that this new price doesn't include taxes and shipping, altogether the new total is now 55$ more than 45 minutes before. I later received an e-mail informing me that they had re-reimbursed my initial order of $972.68

So I asked, what would you do ?
Buy it elsewhere
Boxsterra - 8 years ago
The manufacturer sells it directly for less.
Candadian boarders will have to ring in on this one, but here in the states, that would not be allowable. But, they have different consumer rules up north, eh?
Consumer law can change from province to province, but the Canadian consumer bureau prohibit this behavior.

Buying the product directly is not that good of an options as I will have to pay for import duty and a more expensive shipping cost.

As an update, the fellow I've been dealing with was nice enough to apologies and offer 33$ discount which cover a bit more than half the price raise. I have decided to conclude the transaction with him and not pursue any other action. I had the option to file a complain with the Consumer bureau and purchasing the product somewhere else. I could have even mention the company on this board for all Canadian Porsche owner to avoid, even contact Durametric themselves to complain about their authorized re-seller. But considering how hard doing business in the current market is and their collaboration on the matter, I would actually recommend doing business with them even after this miss-app.

Buying online remains tricky, as you do not walk out with the good and the vendor can always adjust the transaction, product, price, etc. Federal and other laws still have to catch up with how online business should be reglemented.
the price posted is the price charged. If he screwed up it should be on him.
If he can't keep his prices straight, how much confidence can you put in him to deliver what you ordered.
Yes, it is causes by the Canadian dollar fluctuation.

I didn't noticed at the time of purchase, and had to look twice for it, but now there is a note under the article description to inquire about latest price due to currency fluctuation.

Now I have to figure out how to use the tool.

Anyone with good info page/forum that would include a newbie tutorial ?
Unless this guy is a big business.... forget it. Mostly these distributors are small mom and pop operators... I doubt they are trying to rip anyone off... I just cut em a brake.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login