Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
...fit my base 2008 Cayman. It seems it should.
No prob. Or, you can do this. It's pricey though.

[www.suncoastparts.com]
I picked up a used 986 spare for use for b/u when we went to distant tracks and still have it. It seemed to fit ok and held air over time without issue. I got the after market hood protector just ot make sure it wouldn't dent the hood. I seem to recall that there were some articles on P9 regarding securing it in the rear compartment on Caymans

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2015 08:52AM by MikenOH. (view changes)
..than a flat., it seems to be a pervasive issue, and another Porsche flawed design. They finally corrected it, but I believe they charge $300 just for the improved cable.

Installing an upgraded OE cable at a dealership costs ~$1,500, but at least your shifts will be more precise, and you won't have to worry about having the shifter fail and strand you somewhere.

You probably know all about it, but if not, some research is suggested.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary in SoFL
..than a flat., it seems to be a pervasive issue, and another Porsche flawed design. They finally corrected it, but I believe they charge $300 just for the improved cable.

Installing an upgraded OE cable at a dealership costs ~$1,500, but at least your shifts will be more precise, and you won't have to worry about having the shifter fail and strand you somewhere.

You probably know all about it, but if not, some research is suggested.

No never heard of this. None of my 3 Boxsters ever had this done that I know of.
None of my Boxsters ever blew an engine, IMS or not, so your previous Boxster experience is not much of a gauge. We're talking first gen Cayman's.

One recent story:

"<<>>"

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
What are numeric cables?
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Just drove the other Dennis' Cayman. Feels like a new car. Good old Porsche handling even an old guy like me can appreciate.
Few, if any, reports of 2008 Cayman IMS bearing engine blow ups. smiling smiley

Thanks for the encouraging word. I may have to buy some of them cables to insure they won't break. My spare should insure flat tire protection.smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login