Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
This weekend we participated in a PCA Fun Run that started in Bracebridge - About a 150 mile drive to the start for us. It was cool (high 40's) and pretty windy. Nice enough though to have the top down. A few of us had made arrangements to stay in the area after the fun run and head home on Sunday in order to enjoy of the curvy roads and scenery in that neck of the woods. Sunday morning, we went for another drive and ended up having breakfast at Windermer House which had been used for scenes in a few movies

After breakfast, we came out to take a few more pictures. At that point I noticed a screw in my left front tire. angry smiley The head had already had some wear on it. I know it wasn't there when we left home, so I might have picked it up, most likely sometime that morning. I check my TPMS and the tire pressure was right where I'd set it. So my options were:
  1. call Porsche roadside assistance (included with new car warranty)
  2. drive to a nearby garage that was open (good luck finding one in Northern Ontario on a Sunday)
  3. use the goop-fix-a-tire
  4. maybe try to make it home and get the tire fixed on Monday.

I ruled out C first since the goop-fix-a-tire would make a mess of the inside of the tire and wheel and ruin the TPMS sensor.

I wasn't too keen on calling Porsche Roadside assistance, they'd flatbed the car to a dealer in Toronto (which would be out of our way to get home) and I'd have to wait to get it fixed Monday and then head home. Besides, I don't believe that Porsche will patch a tire, so I'd most likely have to buy two new tires (they're about 50% worn at this point, so replacing just one isn't a good idea.)

Did manage to find a garage that was open about 30 mil from where we were. Since the tire hadn't lost any air, I decided to take it easy and head toward the garage. As I drove, TPMS showed that I wasn't losing any air pressure, so as we got close to the garage, I decided to just take it easy and keep going to head home while keeping an eye on TPMS. Got home just fine with no loss in tire pressure.

This morning, tire pressure was still normal, so I took it to a local tire shop. Just wondering if maybe it was a short screw that had only penetrated part way through the tread. Once the pulled out the screw, with soapy water on the sport, it showed a slow leak starting, so had it patched and plugged. $28 seemed like a real bargain compared to the possibility of buying two new tires.

So, the TPMS at least gave me some peace of mind as I drove home. At least I would have seen right away if a leak had started to develop. In that case, I could always go to option A.

Screw in the tire. (taken this morning after it had been driven at least 200 mi.)

Screw compared to the size of a CDN dime ( same size as a US dime)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2015 04:39PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Hi Guenter,

I am sorry you got screwed.

Glad you made it back safe and sound.thumbs up

As you know I worked at a tire center for a number of years and that repair is too close to the shoulder of the tire...especially for the "front" high speed rated tire. You being the King of Curves should seriously consider replacing your fronts. You don't wont to risk a blow out... .I have seen this too many times. IMHO.

Glad you and Michelle made it back safe.

MIKELLIG
First, that does nto look to be too clsoe to the shoulder. They key is to have solid belting all round the damage. There looks to be.

Second, i would doubt the tire would blwo out anyway. What i would expect is that a slow leak would be come a fast leak. Not good mind you, btu not a catastrophic, control-impacting, explosion.

I plug tires all the time if they are, say, 1" in or more. But there are good and bad plugs - i forget the names but use the good ones!

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
My OBC display is always on the tire pressure setting. One for peace of mind, and two, I enjoy seeing how the environment (sun, rain, road surface, etc.) impacts the pressure. Even if my car came with a spare, I'd still spend the money for TPMS. My wife's car has it, but it doesn't show pressure, just gives a warning when tire pressure gets low. Not sure how low, but some really cold mornings, it pops on with a warning. Doesn't tell you which tire, either. Love the Porsche system. Hope I think it's worth the money when the battery dies and I need to buy the new sensors instead of simply replacing a battery. Ugh.
It would have been a long trip home if you'd had to get out of the car every 5 minutes to check the tire pressure with a gauge. Even longer if you'd have had to stop before getting out. winking smiley

The Porsche TPMs is excellent. Like db977s, I find it interesting to see how different conditions change the pressure in one or more tires.

I scroll to the tire pressure screen quite often - on the 35 series tires, it doesn't take much of an air loss to result in a significant tire pressure change,

Glad you made it home, Gman. You were wise to leave the screw in place for the time being.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login