Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Shift Cables - Wow!
grant - 8 years ago
You may (or may not) recall that i had great difficulty shifting, especially when cold, and was having shift cables replaced (diagnosed as failing). Surprising culprit in my opinion.

There was also good input about other factors - which gear oil ( trade off of wear properties vs ideal shift friction properties).

Another input was to watch for the small linkage on the gearbox itself.

Anyway, both of those turned out to be fine. I had the numeric racing cables installed, more $$, but really not much more on a % basis --- And WOW!, what a difference - from high friction and sometimes mushy engagement - almost like pushing into foam, it is now crisp and metallic and light and precise - even cold. At least it is after very little driving (hence cold).

I wont have much more chance to drive it until i return from Germany and head more or less directly to the track, so more in a week +.

But a) cables and their associated hardware make a difference and do wear, and b) numeric seem to be better, although i'm told noisier. I didnt notice the noise, but it is a track car.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Interesting report Grant.

Given the pivotal role the cables play, it probably makes sense that different cables will produce a different shifting feel. I wonder if brand new Porsche OE cables would also have produced a better shift feel. Maybe the outcome is more attributable to replacing tired cables with new cables. OTOH, a cable of different gauge, or composition, would presumably affect the feel.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
....might be a doable DIY. Is there a primer someplace that gives a step by step to remove the console??
Console removal for 987:
[www.planet-9.com]
Hey, thanks a lot. How's Jersey life? Miss the Upper West Side?
Great Dennis! Not missing NYC really, as I still can go anytime.
Grant

Hi Grant, I'm in Bergen County... How's about yourself?
Morris county *NM*
grant - 8 years ago
Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login