Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
It seems there always has to be some faulty engineering in theses cars.

1. is the snapped cable issue mostly a 987.1 series issue, a Cayman only issue? I don't remember this during my 986 ownership. I also noted a few 997/996 complaints. It apparently happens in 987.2 series cars too. Is it a 6 speed vs 5 speed problem or no matter?

2. I seem to see most of these reports on planet9 and rennlist, not so much here.

3. People speak of improved/redesigned Porsche cables.....I find plenty in the Porsche parts inventory at Suncoast, Autohaus and Rosen BUT no one seems to know of a redesign.

4. Numeric cables are touted as the savior and yet I read about shifting issues with these and they are quite dear. Mostly people us them with the short shifter kit however.

5. I have a good history on my '08 Cayman that I bought with 88K miles on it. I see no mention of shifter cable replacement or issues. It shifts fine.

I like being back in these mid engine cars but I sure wish there wasn't always something to worry/stew about. Is this more than a small percent issue or is it inevitable?
Why bother changing them out if it shifts just fine right now? I'm of the if it ain't broke camp as you can see...
I agree. Just trying to figure out how systemic this problem is and/or whether it is peculiar to the 987s.
I haven't heard much about 981 shifter cable problems. My 2006 987 (5 speed) had a short shifter installed and no problem with the shifter cables during the 63K miles I owned it.
with the Boxsters or even the Caymans, at least for cars confined sole to the street. When it comes to tracking I dare say in the heat of battle, so to speak, the shifters -- among other things -- take a beating from most drivers.

If there is a problem is not confined to those models. My 996 Turbo suffered a broken shifter not too long after I bought it, with (roughly) 30K miles. The ball socket portion just gave up. On the tech's recommendation I gave him approval to install a 997 shifter and the improvement over the stock 996 Turbo shifter was pretty significant. Much less slop, more precise/rifle bolt action shifting. A worthwhile "mod".
I had a shifter cable break after the car had about 20K miles and was 3 and a half years old. Luckily I was in town and had it towed to the local Porsche dealer. I don't bother with the other Porsche boards, and I've been checking in here for years, since the period when everybody was talking RMS issues and wondering about extended warranties. I had never heard of this problem until it happened to me. I can tell no difference in the shifting after the cable was replaced. I would not expect it to be a problem.
Thanks, after experiencing 2 IMS failures (an '02 2.7 and an '04 3.2) you can understand my uneasiness.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login