Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I still have the original pump and even the serpentine belt and the belt still has no cracks and the pumps not showing any signs offf leaking
but when i pull the belt it does have a very small amount off play,maybe 1/2 mil that with rocking it top to bottom from outside edge if i pull on the pulley
strait out its almost nothing.Also still feels smooth to turn by hand and no noise when running.Ive read lots regarding problems with these and
some say its a must change.Whats your thoughts,keep driving and cheak it seasonally or change it regardless.
moresquirt
I still have the original pump and even the serpentine belt and the belt still has no cracks and the pumps not showing any signs offf leaking
but when i pull the belt it does have a very small amount off play,maybe 1/2 mil that with rocking it top to bottom from outside edge if i pull on the pulley
strait out its almost nothing.Also still feels smooth to turn by hand and no noise when running.Ive read lots regarding problems with these and
some say its a must change.Whats your thoughts,keep driving and cheak it seasonally or change it regardless.

I believe Porsche calls for the belt to b e changed at 100K km (60K miles). I would get that changed. If it breaks, you have no water pump or alternator.

As for the water pump, If there isn't any sign of leakage and the pulley rotates freely, I'd leave it.

At about 90K km, my water pump had some pink showing around the shaft, so check that. I had it replace and did the belt at the same time. Others have had the water pump last a lot longer. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
... to be replaced at 60,000 miles (100,000 Km) but it will last a bit longer than that.
I've tested two of them by letting them go past 60,000 but carrying a spare in the drunk and they both lasted to 100,000 miles (160,000 Km).
I don't recommend you let it go beyond the safe 60,000 miles.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I would definitely change the belt. Just the tow, and a bad day will cost you more than the belt.
DFWAB
grant - 8 years ago
Dont Fix What Aint Broke.

My experience with water pumps is that there are good ones and bad ones. I've had 10-year old ones that are good, and 1.5 year old ones that were failing. If yours i good - leave it alone.

As to the belt - its cheap and easy to replace, so whenever you do the water pump, do it Or do it anyway. About $40 for the part and 30-40 minutes to do the job, most of it removing the access panel and double checking things - actual replacement takes 5 minutes.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
The video's intro is actually a few seconds longer than the time it took to do the job!
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA[/video]

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
How many times he practiced before he could do that.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
that he still has ten fingers.
Isn't that how Porsche techs do that kinda work too?...you know...get the customer in and out quicker that way!
Thx all,i have had belt off to inspect,easy job.Even water pump dosent look to complicated.I decided to toss a spare belt in the trunk and keep cheaking the
pump yearly (only do approx. 7000 miles/yr) Thx for the tips on the pink on shaft Guenter,will look for that also.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login