Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
2009 C2S 91K miles

OK, someone posted something about this a few weeks ago on another board and I can't find it. I think I should stop reading this stuff because I catch the cold.

Issue: "Refill Washer Fluid" warning light pops on now when full. I use Rain-X almost exclusively. The darn thing is full. It popped on last week, darn didn't I just fill it?.... added less than a quart and it was full to the top. Hmmmm.... Popped on again next morning. Something is wrong.

Questions:

1) Anyone have their washer fluid monitor system fail?
2) Someone posted they thought Rain-X is "coating" the sensor in the tank and interfering with operation. Thoughts? The poster, IIRC, noted the sensor is electrical fork and not a float system. Anyone know the poster or can find that post? Maybe it was in another forum but the Google didn't work for me.
3) Is there any way to drain the tank without using the squirters?

I gotta stop reading these posts. Every time someone posts a gremlin, I get it. So, someone post something about how more horsepower just appeared.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
There is a spattered clear residue on the windshield cowl that might be the Rain-X itself after the rest of the fluid has evaporated, but the car's never had a low level warning, nor a clog for that matter. I believe I was using it with my 986, too. The only other thought is there were (still are?) two formulas, the green summer stuff with some kind of bug wash additive, and the orange stuff for winter/low temperatures. Lately I've seen only a combo, all-season type that's a similar orange. Again, no issues with any of them.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2015 05:59PM by Laz. (view changes)
<[quote="Bruce In Philly
I gotta stop reading these posts. Every time someone posts a gremlin, I get it. So, someone post something about how more horsepower just appeared.
Peace
Bruce in Philly[/quote]

About time you said something funny which could be very true ..........

hot smileysmileys with beerspinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling smileygrinning smileytongue sticking out smileythumbs upwinking smileycool smileysmiling bouncing smileyeye popping smileysmoking smileytongue sticking out smileywinking smileycool smileyconfused smileytongue sticking out smileysmileys with beermoody smileygrinning smileythumbs upcool smileyhot smileysmileys with beerspinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling smileygrinning smileytongue sticking out smileythumbs upwinking smileycool smileysmiling bouncing smileyeye popping smileysmoking smileytongue sticking out smileywinking smileycool smileyconfused smileytongue sticking out smileysmileys with beermoody smileygrinning smileythumbs upcool smiley
I recently discussed a similar issue with my dealer regarding my 981. Although I did not get the low fluid light, when checking for codes with my Durametric cable/software, I get a recurring code (don't remember the number) that indicates an issue with the sensor. He asked if I use RainX fluid, and I do. He said it coats the sensor which then puts out a false reading. He said if I switch to typical fluid (not RainX), the sensor will eventually return to normal. Since I don't get the dash light, I keep using the RainX.
Rain-X contains silicone polymers. I'm not sure what it can do to the sensors but if you put Rain-X glass treatment on your windshield it is a pain to take it off.
I find just by regularly using the windshield spritzers while it's raining , there's a somewhat adequate amount of water rejection. As an experiment, I've applied the RainX wash with a spray bottle, just so as to have an initial coating. It hasn't rained enough lately to see if this is useful. There's something called Aquapel that has some claim to lasting longer than RainX, but going by various user reviews, seems to be a pia to apply. When I first got the 981, I had some sort of glass treatment applied to the windshield by the dealer, but found it to be ineffective. It's supposed to help prevent chipping, too, and while the windshield has been subject to some pretty hard hits without damage, I was hoping it would prevent the fine pitting that Porsche windshields get. It doesn't seem to have made a difference here either, at 45,000 miles I think it's just as bad as what my 986 had at this mileage. Still may try Aquapel some day.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2015 10:23AM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login