Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
My 2008 Cayman only had one key when I recently purchased it, I figured I'd get another no sweat. Well local P dealer says $412 for key and another $120 to program to the car. Any alternatives or am I stuck with am over $500 bill for my no sweat key?
dennisafrompa
My 2008 Cayman only had one key when I recently purchased it, I figured I'd get another no sweat. Well local P dealer says $412 for key and another $120 to program to the car. Any alternatives or am I stuck with am over $500 bill for my no sweat key?

Suncoast has the key head for $169.95 + $30 for the key blank, which you'd need to get cut to match your key..

The key needs to be programmed to the car, as you said. Not sure how long that takes, but $120 sounds kind of steep (like the price of the key you were quoted.)

One other thing to consider. If there's another key (the one you didn't get) out there and still programmed to the car, you should get that removed from the car's computer so it (if it's still around somewhere.) can't be used to drive off with your car.
So who can cut the key blank, anyone?
dennisafrompa
So who can cut the key blank, anyone?

As far as I know, yes. Any place that cuts keys should be able to do it. It's the key head that needs to be programmed so the car will start / remote unlock. The key blank, if cut properly, can just be used to manually unlock the car and glove compartment, but it won't be able to start the car because the key head has to be programmed into the car's computer. If the immobiliser doesn't recognise the key, the key will turn in the ignition switch, but the car won't start.
If you just want a spare with no open door or trunk button I would try Home depot. They apparently can program their blank programmable keys. Its worth the try.
carlos in Montreal
If you just want a spare with no open door or trunk button I would try Home depot. They apparently can program their blank programmable keys. Its worth the try.

I doubt that Home Depot has a PIWIWS to program the car to recognize the key. The key isn't programmed, it's the car that's programmed so it recognizes the key.
You tube video on this, easy to find.
About $ 190 for everything.
Plus dealer programming.
$120 is good, mine wants $160.
they do it for many makes maybe even Porsche
Guenter in Ontario
carlos in Montreal

I that Home Depot has a PIWIWS to program the car to recognize the key. The key isn't programmed, it's the car that's programmed so it recognizes the key.

So if this is true then how will the key I already have then work with the car if the car will be reprogrammed to match the new key? I am truly confused by this.
dennisafrompa
Guenter in Ontario
carlos in Montreal

I that Home Depot has a PIWIWS to program the car to recognize the key. The key isn't programmed, it's the car that's programmed so it recognizes the key.

So if this is true then how will the key I already have then work with the car if the car will be reprogrammed to match the new key? I am truly confused by this.

The key head has a "pill" (as Pedro calls it) that contains the code for that key. The car must be programmed to recognize that key code. Otherwise, the security system doesn't recognize the key, it won't allow the key to lock / unlock (remotely) or start the car.

The car can be programmed to accept up to 4 keys (not positive of that number, it could be 6). So the car would be programmed to recognize the new key in addition to the one that you already have.

Right now, your car should be programmed to accept 2 keys - the one you have and the one you didn't get (whether it was lost/stolen), unless the previous owner had the lost key code removed from the system. That's why you should have the car programmed to accept only the key you have plus the new one. Get them to delete any other key(s) from the computer.

Thinking back to my '06 Boxster, when I inserted the key, it would show whether I inserted key 1 or key 2. I'm guessing that your Cayman does the same thing. Just check the next time you unlock your car and insert the key.
Dennis, I just checked the '07 Boxster manual. It says you can program up to 6 keys.

Cayman manual is probably similar. Check around page 22 about replacement keys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 09:46AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
I understand the deal now. I see there are companies that will sell you the actual "key" part for $30 and cut it if you furnish them a photo or your key. Anybody have any experience with this?
Guenter is right.
The car has memory capacity to store up to 4 keys (986/996) and up to 6 keys (987/997/C7).
Each key has two strings of data that must be stored into the car's memory in order to activate them.
One strand is for the Immobilizer (pill) and the other is for the remote (keyless entry) functions.
The key blade is just a physical key to lock/unlock the mechanical tumblers in the door's lock or in the ignition's lock.
Home Depot and similar do not have the capacity to cut a Porsche key.
There are locksmiths that can do it as well as through a dealer.
Read this article I published a time back.
It'll give you a bit more info: [pedrosgarage.com]
Happy Porsche'ing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 09:38AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
6 keys can be programmed to the control unit in the 987.

I guess they figure that 987 owners can afford more keys than 986 owners. winking smiley
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Don't even see them listed at Suncoast.

I'd recommend not losing a 981 / 991 key. I have this scary feeling you'd send Porsche a blank cheque and if your account has enough in it to cover whatever number Porsche writes on it, they send you a key.
Couple months ago I thought I lost one, and went crazy looking for it. Finally found it in the cargo area of my CRX. Go figure.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Laz
Couple months ago I thought I lost one, and went crazy looking for it. Finally found it in the cargo area of my CRX. Go figure.

I can just imagine. One of these keys would probably cost more than my first car. eye popping smiley
Guenter in Ontario
Laz

I can just imagine. One of these keys would probably cost more than my first car. eye popping smiley

Definitely more than my first car - a rusted out, brush-painted, 1946 Desoto coupe - less than $50 IIRC. Three a rod shortly after I got it. Sold it for scrap for $10 less than I paid for it.
Dennis,

My 2000 Boxster came with 3 keys (one valet which is lost forever). Both of the 'real keys' are finally dead. I bought two of the electronic stubs from Suncoast (apparently you can also use a 911 version per some info out there if you want an 'upgrade', but don't take my word for it). They will also sell you the key blank which has to be cut.

Rob at Provost Motorsports was doing my brakes and water pump and also reprogrammed the keys for $119.50. He is in Bordentown, NJ which may not be too far from you in PA. This work was done for me yesterday, so I'm pretty sure the price is still good .

Andrew
… that he has the PIWIS computer, not the PST-II.
The former is what's needed of anything newer than 2005.
Happy Porsche'ing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login