Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Both connectors to the A/C module are tight and I even checked with the old module. The dash was working when I took that one out, and when I tested it again the dash is not working. My dash shows nothing (except turn signal arrows)-no speedo, no tach, etc.
Has anybody experienced this and what's the fix?
If anybody has experienced this and can help I would appreciate it. Tom
- fuses
- wires/grounds that might have been disturbed
- polarity (potential short)

????

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I checked the fuses to dash and they are OK. Also the connectors for the A/C module-all OK.
Check the dash/gage cluster connections are good.
If it was working fine before moving the AC control unit, then logic says an electrical connection must have been affected.
It sounds as if power is not reaching the dash.
Start by checking the corresponding fuse(s).
A wise may have shorted and blew a fuse.
If fuse is fine you'll have to get the schematics in order to proceed.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Is there not reprogramming that needs to be done to accept the new A/C module?confused smiley

MIKELLIG
Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

… there's no programming of the A/C module or the gauge cluster or radio.
You only need to program Can-bus vehicles which started with the 987/997 (MY 2005 and newer).
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

The problem is not the instrument module (checked out OK by established module refurb. company) and the fuses look good. Any further advice appreciated.
Tom
Back to basics.
grant - 8 years ago
Have you checked voltage on each of the wires leading to it?

Have you checked the harness back to its origin (loose plugs, etc.)?

If the module's good, and the wiring's good... and it doesn;t work, call the local Padre

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
I had a similar experience...
I bought a refurb A/C module to replace the one that had "half-moons" in the display of my '01 986... When I turned the key after replacing the old one, the A/C module lit up fine; but it blew a 30 amp fuse and all the dashboard lights, etc., went out... I put the old module back in and replaced the blown fuse, and the dashboard lights all came back on... I made the swap to the new module again, and the results were the same (no dashboard lights and another blown fuse...) Well, I sent the "new" A/C module back, they checked it out and stated that it worked fine for them... At that point I ordered one of those kits seen on ebay where you replace only the screen on the A/C module... I installed that replacement screen in the old module and now everything works fine... smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2015 11:40AM by ULTRAHOMER. (view changes)
Coincidentally, I just posted about the same situation, but one that's left me without working turn signals / hazard lights.
After replacing my HVAC control unit (the LCD was broken), my turn signal and hazard lights no longer work.

Here’s the rundown:

1. I bought a replacement HVAC control unit on eBay. The serial number wasn’t an exact match to my broken one, but it looked identical.
2. The new unit blew a fuse. I don’t remember exactly which one, but all my dash lights were out.
3. So I reverted to my old control unit, but swapped the LCD panel with the good one on the replacement unit.
4. I replaced the fuse and the dash came back to life.
5. Now my turn signals and hazards don’t work.

The STRANGEST part is that they worked intermittently for a quite while (there was no fuse blown). And now it seems they’re dead all the time.

Thoughts?

Many thanks,
-Dan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login