Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I have had an on going problem with my starter.The problem is that when u try to start the car (50 % off time) the starter bendix just not return rite away and it makes a
loud squeel. I removed the starter couple months ago and cleaned the end with break cleaner and then while operating it on the vise with a battery hooked up sprayed to
Teflon Lube in side the bendix assembly while operating the starter on and off.Seemed to work for a while,maybe a month or so then the squeels back.I am wondering if
the spring in the bendix is getting weak and needs replaced,Has anyone tried that.I have approx 75000 miles (120000 kilometers) on car.I saw used starters (remans) for under $200 but
if the original just needs a new or stiffer spring,i may just go that route.Any advise u cn give would be great.Thx And PS: Pedro ,dont pull the plug,i luv this forum and all the tech info
u provide is fantastic.wish u were closer!!
The spring is probably not getting weak. What has happened is the grease in the overrun clutch has probably gotten old/dried out some and the clutch doesn't work as well as it did before.

When my 2002 Boxster's starter was making a noise like the overrun clutch was dragging my tech sources told me there's a starter rebuild service nearby and the guy who runs it does a good job. All he does is starters. Of course you (probably) don't live anywhere near me but I would be surprised if there was not a similar operation in your area.

You can explore possibly disassembling the overrun clutch and if you can then clean it and repack it with an appropriate grease but I seem to recall these overrun clutches were not intended to be field serviceable.

With the starter out of the car if you can remove the overrun clutch you might find a replacement at a good bearing supply house.
If you search by Bosch part # - you'll find a new starter motor is only $130.Just be careful with verifying the correct part number .There is some confusion over '05/06 differences.
I have a guy locally that does starter rebuilds for cars boats ect but am looking at approx $100 for disassembly new parts and reassembly.May be better off
picking up a Bosch unit,Thx for tip ,dident realize 05 and 06 parts were different!
Just looked up Bosch starter,found it a Auto parts way in Ont Canada (have purchased here before ) price is $350 !!
Tonyd ,were do u see it for $ 130?
Just put the correct Bosch part number in EBay.Or try the correct Porsche number. Need to be familiar with Interchange #'s . Before you buy, verify with the seller thant the part is correct for your VIN- year model maybe misleading???
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login