Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I had just changed the oil and washed car and was takin a spin round the block before winter storage and bang! No power steering and battery light on.
I figured i broke the serpentine belt,Only had to drive 1/2 a mile more to home so i figured it would be ok and wouldent over heat.When i got home
i pulled the engine cover and discovered the belt was intact BUT the water pump pulley was lying in the bottom off the motor.I pulled the pulley out and it has
literally snapped off on the shaft!! There was no coolent leakage at all.Any idea what happened here.Obviously i need a new pump.Would that be a seized bearing
or could the impeller have broken off or caught against the engine case.I have 120000 kilometers and i believe this is the original water pump.Its an 06 Boxster s
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
His is also an '06 S. The pulley shaft just snapped on his. Pump was still turning freely. Your case might be different. Usually, though, if the pump is starting to seize up, it will start making some noise.
I will check the tensioner,did check all other pulleys and everything is smooth and quiet.Belt has 75000 miles on it and looks perfect,no visible wear on sides or cracks anywere.
Metallurgy/heat treatment related failure. No way the tensioner tension caused the shaft to snap.

Had the radiator fan motor shaft snap on my 996 Turbo, passenger side. Just a clean break. And there is no belt tensioner pulling on that shaft.

The shaft was defective is all. The same applies to the failed water pump.
Good point, Marc.
Laz - 8 years ago
About a year ago I posted as to how the dealer cracked the oil drain plug on my car. It's hard to believe experienced Porsche dealership mechanics would over-torque, so I, and they, attributed it to the plug being defective, however rare that condition is. They said they would report it back to Porsche Central.
I trust they didn't allow the guy who washes the cars to get some oil change practice on mine!

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Water pumps are a well known failure point on lots of cars. Boxsters included. Mine went at 70k miles, the plastic impeller fell apart.

I don't think your squealing issue is the starter. I think it's your AOS - another well known Boxster failure point. When mine failed (cracks in the hoses) it made lots of crazy squealing sounds.
Checked tensioner and its not binding at all,looks like a defective shaft or poor metal quality were is snapped. I called PHaff porsche and they want almost $500 canadian
for the pump and gasket.I am in Ont,Canada and looked at the Suncoast Porsche site and they want $289 for both US Funds. I mentioned that and Phaff parts guy told me they sell seconds or
not Genuine Porsche stuff.Personally im not really impressed with the Original Porsch GENUINE garbage thats on my car.With only a120000 kilometers the pump snaps (never had a car do that in my life) and the starter
needs rebuilt,again seems premature.Even the American made autos ive owned dont have starter issues for 20000 k.Gunther u live in Ontario,were would u buy the parts.I think that even with the poor exchange rate
,customs and shipping i will come out way ahead if i get he part from Suncoast.
moresquirt
.Gunther u live in Ontario,were would u buy the parts.I think that even with the poor exchange rate
,customs and shipping i will come out way ahead if i get he part from Suncoast.

I'm not sure how far you'd come out ahead buying it from Suncoast with the current exchange rate. (I bought a replacement pump from Suncoast for my '06 a few years ago That was when the dollar was about par and I picked it up while in Florida so saved shipping and customs.)

$298 + 35% exchange rate = $390. Not sure what the import duty is - I'm guessing around $50 - $70 + shipping.

I'm basing that $50 on a $200 prize I won in a contest. Had to pay almost $50 for duty / customs.

Do you know of any good Indy's where you live? They will usually be able to do the job for quite a bit less with less markup for parts than the dealer.
Thanks Guenter,I am located in Muskoka but i if i have work that i can,t do my self i take it to Autowerks in Woodbridge.Thre a Porsche shop.
I did find a porsche auto wreckers in Ont and they have a 2007 Boxster s with low k,s and there giving me a price of $150 for the water pump and $250 for the starter off it.
Wood u install a used part? If the pump has no signs off leaking from the seal and bearing spins smooth and has zero play.
The original one lasted 120km. I think you got your money's worth. They can fail at any time though most last that long or longer.

Be sure you buy a new T-Stat, too.

If you replace it yourself, be sure you clearly mark where each bolt came from. The bolts are varying lengths and you don't want to put the wrong bolt, too long a bolt, in the wrong hole, too shallow a hole. If you torque the too long bolt down in too shallow a hole you can crack the block.
moresquirt
Thanks Guenter,I am located in Muskoka but i if i have work that i can,t do my self i take it to Autowerks in Woodbridge.Thre a Porsche shop.
I did find a porsche auto wreckers in Ont and they have a 2007 Boxster s with low k,s and there giving me a price of $150 for the water pump and $250 for the starter off it.
Wood u install a used part? If the pump has no signs off leaking from the seal and bearing spins smooth and has zero play.

I replaced the water pump on my '06 at 90K km because it was showing signs of leaking (just pink antifreeze residue - no drips on the ground,) Some people have gone a lot further. Personally, I wouldn't put in a used water pump. You don't know how many km are on it. Seal could be dry from just sitting, who knows how long.

I have no experience with replacement starters, so maybe others can chime in here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 01:52PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
moresquirt
I had just changed the oil and washed car and was takin a spin round the block before winter storage and bang! No power steering and battery light on.
I figured i broke the serpentine belt,Only had to drive 1/2 a mile more to home so i figured it would be ok and wouldent over heat.When i got home
i pulled the engine cover and discovered the belt was intact BUT the water pump pulley was lying in the bottom off the motor.I pulled the pulley out and it has
literally snapped off on the shaft!! There was no coolent leakage at all.Any idea what happened here.Obviously i need a new pump.Would that be a seized bearing
or could the impeller have broken off or caught against the engine case.I have 120000 kilometers and i believe this is the original water pump.Its an 06 Boxster s

Hi,

My 2006 Boxster S suffered the exact infliction as yours at less than 80,000 KM.confused smiley

I was not as fortunate as you to drive home as I was 10KM away.

Snapped right in half..sounded like a shot gun went off.

After the WP was taken out you could see some seepage.

I replaced it with a new OEM...I would not trust a used WP or one made in Asia.

Good luck!

MIKELLIG
What did the vanes of the old pump look like?
Mine was built in March 2006 (Finland) Sounds like a bad batch off starters.Will have mine out soon and can comment on inside but i think this is a shaft
metal quality issue.
Boxsterra
What did the vanes of the old pump look like?

Aren't the vanes plastic? If so, I'd think they would break before the metal shaft if it wasn't defective.
I noticed that your 2006 987S was manufactured in March 2006..Mine was built in February 2006.

It seems that if anyone has a 987S Boxster or Cayman built around that time and have not replaced your water pump..it is time smiling smiley

MIKELLIG
Water pumps are a well known failure point on lots of cars. Boxsters included. Mine went at 70k miles, the plastic impeller fell apart.

I don't think your squealing issue is the starter. I think it's your AOS - another well known Boxster failure point. When mine failed (cracks in the hoses) it made lots of crazy squealing sounds.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login