Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hey gents,

Its time to do that awful messy job - boots & grease.

Last time i did this I had the suspension out anyway; so i did it the "hard" way - with lots of dissassembly.

Reading make same thing i must remove the diagonal braces and lower sheetmetal stiffening plate.
I'm wondering if i can simply remove the hub/strut from the wishbone and the toe-link and sneak it out.

Any suggestions or BTDT?

My tip for all of you is:
"dont counter hold the ball joint stud with an allen wrench -- rather, support the bottom of the wishbone with a bottle jack and let friction do it 10x easier and better"

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Grant

that should read: "reading makes me think...."

Can we *please* get editing capability?

Grant

Grant

I did this last year +/- I know I followed a suggestion on youtube.

I bought a used half shaft to replace one that had be damaged at the dealer and was leaking. The metal ring to which the boot was attached was toasted.

In any event, I do not recall removing the diagonal. I did move the hub etc. though. I will try to spin up the youtube instructions.
Next job, however is those 6 stoopid hex nuts. Wish i had a 90-degree impact wrench (not for the impact part, i start and stop by hand, but to avoid the drudgery of 12,373 10-degree turns.

Grant

I used a really long extension and a swivel head - worked pretty well.
Did not elect to get into the shaft removal tonight, That's for another eve.

used my trusty long and short handled swivel-head ratchets and a combination of extensions. Impact driver will fit - may use on drivers' side.

With some luck, the net time i do this' i'll have a lift (scissor lift, but 28" beats the 12 or so that i have now.

I'm working slowly and taking the time to double check and improve everything i touch. Cleaning threads, surfaces, etc. - such as the ball joints seats.

G

Grant

I did this last year +/- I know I followed a suggestion on a google search. It might have been the Pelican parts site or the 101 projects book (I have it somewhere).

I bought a used half shaft to replace one that had be damaged at the dealer and was leaking. The metal ring to which the boot was attached was toasted.

In any event, I do not recall removing the diagonal. I did move the hub etc. though. I specifically remember undoing the balljoint and the arm from the hub carrier.

Here is the PP web discussion. I am pretty sure I used the 101 projects now that I look at the photos.

[www.pelicanparts.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login