Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hey gents,

Its time to do that awful messy job - boots & grease.

Last time i did this I had the suspension out anyway; so i did it the "hard" way - with lots of dissassembly.

Reading make same thing i must remove the diagonal braces and lower sheetmetal stiffening plate.
I'm wondering if i can simply remove the hub/strut from the wishbone and the toe-link and sneak it out.

Any suggestions or BTDT?

My tip for all of you is:
"dont counter hold the ball joint stud with an allen wrench -- rather, support the bottom of the wishbone with a bottle jack and let friction do it 10x easier and better"

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Grant

that should read: "reading makes me think...."

Can we *please* get editing capability?

Grant

Grant

I did this last year +/- I know I followed a suggestion on youtube.

I bought a used half shaft to replace one that had be damaged at the dealer and was leaking. The metal ring to which the boot was attached was toasted.

In any event, I do not recall removing the diagonal. I did move the hub etc. though. I will try to spin up the youtube instructions.
Next job, however is those 6 stoopid hex nuts. Wish i had a 90-degree impact wrench (not for the impact part, i start and stop by hand, but to avoid the drudgery of 12,373 10-degree turns.

Grant

I used a really long extension and a swivel head - worked pretty well.
Did not elect to get into the shaft removal tonight, That's for another eve.

used my trusty long and short handled swivel-head ratchets and a combination of extensions. Impact driver will fit - may use on drivers' side.

With some luck, the net time i do this' i'll have a lift (scissor lift, but 28" beats the 12 or so that i have now.

I'm working slowly and taking the time to double check and improve everything i touch. Cleaning threads, surfaces, etc. - such as the ball joints seats.

G

Grant

I did this last year +/- I know I followed a suggestion on a google search. It might have been the Pelican parts site or the 101 projects book (I have it somewhere).

I bought a used half shaft to replace one that had be damaged at the dealer and was leaking. The metal ring to which the boot was attached was toasted.

In any event, I do not recall removing the diagonal. I did move the hub etc. though. I specifically remember undoing the balljoint and the arm from the hub carrier.

Here is the PP web discussion. I am pretty sure I used the 101 projects now that I look at the photos.

[www.pelicanparts.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login