Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The CV bolts were insanely tight. I struggled to get each of them out.
One in particular would not budge - stuff was bending - i can only imagine the torque i put on it.

In the end it rounded - not sure if i failed to hold enough pressure on it or what, but its rounded.

What's the advice. Heating it is not a great idea (oil all around), but i supposed i could clean first (tough as its positioned not very high in a garage).

Other ideas? Vice-grips wont do it.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
The CV bolts were insanely tight. I struggled to get each of them out.
One in particular would not budge - stuff was bending - i can only imagine the torque i put on it.

In the end it rounded - not sure if i failed to hold enough pressure on it or what, but its rounded.

What's the advice. Heating it is not a great idea (oil all around), but i supposed i could clean first (tough as its positioned not very high in a garage).

Other ideas? Vice-grips wont do it.

Grant

Do you have a picture?

Would it be possible to cut a slot into the bolt head? Then you could use a flat head driver. Sounds like the bolt is toast anyway.
I'll take a photo when i'm next under, applying penetrating fluid and tapping hard with a hammer.

Idea #1 is to use an hammer-operated impact driver - the same one i use to remove philips head rotor bolts.

Idea #2 is to use a bolt extractor

Idea #3 is to weld a tab to it

Incidentally: THIS is is the reason to remove the stiffening sheet metal plate. It allows one to gain direct access and have far less leverage on the wrench /allen driver.

Absent that i might not have rounded it. I was VERY careful, but i'm sure it slipped slightly askew...

G

Grant

I vote for the impact hammer driver or better yet an air driven impact wrench. These work wonders to loosen frozen fasteners. The techs almost always use the impact wrench to remove/disassemble. They have a nice selection of small right angle drill motors too to make it easy to drill out any bolts that break off or are just unremovable by any other means.

When I had my Boxster in for new CV boots the tech found the bolts that hold the half shafts to the tranny were all "stripped". Not sure what happened as the only time those bolts were ever touched after the car left the factory was when it was in for a new RMS and the shafts were unbolted from the tranny so the tranny could be removed. I guess the tech -- a Porsche dealer tech where I bought the car too -- when he put the half shafts back together did this. Bummer.

Anyhow, the tech doing the CV boots managed to get all of the bolts out using his trusty air impact hammer and a tool bit that fit the bolt socket precisely. Of course he replaced all of the old bolts with new ones upon reassembly.
I also like pedro's idea. But i am periodically applying magic fluid (PB blaster) and whack-ing it. I called a bud who is a retired machinist, and he will help Saturday if needed. He also told me (i dont quite get this BTW) that if i apply a ball-peen to the allen it will close it a bit.

I will also need to raise the car a bit more ( a third row of pressure treated, so a two-man job) to get better access and leverage.

11 fairly easy and one that i suspect was already damaged in some way. I too, wonder how, since I put them in at ~ 50 lb-ft (estimated, cant get an accurate reading). So either a) they tighten themselves or b) something's wrong or c) someone did something i was unaware of.

Thee are times when we learn. Keep saying that.

Thanks to all,
[i64.tinypic.com]
[i68.tinypic.com]

G

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2015 03:45PM by grant. (view changes)
You do not need a big compressor to use an impact wrench, at least one sized for your car's needs.

I had a air compressor I can't recall the size now but it ran off of 120VAC and it even handled a large 1/2" impact wrench. The impact wrenches I'm talking about are pretty small and made to get into tight places so they take less air. The air tools that take a big compressor are the air drills and air sanders/grinders that one runs almost continuously for minutes. I had a set of these and yet the compressor handled these ok. I probably didn't use them minutes and minutes at time though.
a suitable air compressor and a suitable lift. Both are indispensable -- or nearly so -- when one gets beyond the oil/filter services and brake services.
but requires some space, which is being rectified. My collection of PT wood allows me to get it reasonably high and very stable, when i'm not too lazy (which i was).

G

Grant

Hardest part was cleaning all the local oil residue around so i didnt start a Bonfire.

Heated it to beginning of red; used allen socket, hammered into rounded opening, "tink". Success.

Physics is awesome

Grant

... bolts are hex (Allen) use the triple square that almost fits.
Tap it into the bolt head. Support the wheel do it doesn't move and loosen the bolt.
The triple square works better than an extractor.
Happy Boxsteting
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Grant

If you just apply a bunch of torque to it then you'll probably just break it. And then you'll have another pickle to deal with.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login