Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Well this is the second time i have pulled the starter to see why it squeels after startup.First time i could find nothing wrong visually so just lubed the gear end and shaft
with teflon spray but problem returned a month later.This time i took it into a shop that does only starter repairs.They pulled it apart and found nothing wrong.Strange!!
I did notice that when i got it back i could physically twist and pull the gear out by hand and previously could berely pull the gear out with visegrips.Maybe they sprayed it clean
inside,not sure but while i had it out this time i applied some Graphit spray to the gear shaft,i think this stuff will not wear off so quick as the Teflon spray i applied last time.
Car is now in storage for winter ,have starter back in and no noise but not a true test until next spring i guess,will report back then.I realize thease starters arent a large amout off money
but many have this issue but there has to be a reason i have not read about yet.It may be nothing more than dirt inside the starter dosent let the gear snap back quick enough.
This is not your typical starter with bendix and spring,it has gears or bearings and works back and forth by electricity.My starter has 120000 kilometers so dirt could have accumalated over 10 years.
I think u have to take it completely apart to clean properly.
Electric motors dont squeal.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I had a failing AOS make all kinds of squealing noises. I bet that's what you are hearing. If you can get to it, look at the corragated hoses coming off the AOS for cracked/broken/loose hoses. You may also see a tell tale oil leak there (or on the ground under it).
I have a new AOS sittin on the bench but have not installed it yet as i have not had any indication off failure ie:large puffs off smoke out the tail pipe.I did have the plastic hose
off that comes of the AOS to make removal off starter easier,no signs off splitting in hose,there was some sign off oil around all the connections(seepage) and also in the hose but my Porsche
shop told me thats normal and even after installing a new unit after they go for a test ride there will be some seepage on a new unit.I guess the AOS does not totally remove all oil mist that gets
feed back into the system.If it were the AOS that was failing then why after cleaning and lubing the starter does it stop making the squeel,I appreciate the feedback but this is definately a starter
related issue that many have on new and older Boxsters.
Marc i just got off the phone with the starter tech place and he had pulled the starter completely apart,there is no spring ect,just a solinoid that spins the gear out and back and slides on bushings .
They did clean it all up as it was pretty gummed up inside .You can,t clean it up by just spraying cleaner in the end off the starter by the gear.All i know is i am able to pull
the gear out and spin it by hand now and could barley pull it out before even with vise grips.I think the design is suseptable to dirt clogging everything up.As for now everything is working good ,they charged me
$20 to pull apart and clean up which is pretty cheap,if this does not work next season i will change the solonoid as they suggested.I think to many people are changin thease starters out and there still good,just need a good cleaning.My 2 cents CDN funds!
As the engine fires and runs it spins up to an RPM quite above the starter's speed -- IIRC around 75 RPMs. The overrun clutch is there to prevent the flywheel ring gear which is engaged with the pinion gear of the starter from over speeding the starter motor until the solenoid is disengaged and the spring retracts the pinion gear. If the over run clutch is bad it doesn't fully release like it is supposed to when the flywheel speeds up and the squeal you hear is the clutch or the starter motor protesting.

For a solution I do not think the over run clutch is field serviceable in that it can be disassembled and cleaned and repacked and reused. If you can replace just the clutch that's one solution.

You want to be sure the pinion gear is properly lubricated where it slides on the starter motor shaft. The solenoid slides the gear over to where it engages with the ring gear on the flywheel then the circuit closes and the starter spins up. When you turn the key from start to run and the solenoid is turned off the spring is responsible for pulling the pinion gear out of engagement with the ring gear and slide the pinion gear clear of the ring gear teeth. This pinion gear must be able to slide back from just the spring -- it is a pretty substantial spring though -- and very fast. Any delay subjects the over run clutch to more overspeeding as the engine gains RPMs after starting.

Silicon sprays or graphite based sprays I do not think are adequate for this lube point. However, I have not seen a new Porsche starter and do not know what if any lube is used at this point. The "lube" might be part of the material that makes up the inner splines of the pinion gear and the splines on the starter motor shaft.
My AOS failing didn't cause noticable smoking either. I think the cracked hoses were sucking in air making the noise. I was sure at the time my AC compressor or it's pulley was the problem. All I'm saying is, in my case, there was allot of squealing going on and it was the AOS. Please keep us posted when you find your problem. Good luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login