Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Got home from Thanksgiving vist to our daughter last night, opend up the garage door and saw this:

Checked and it is coolant

So this morning it is on its way back to the dealer @ 27 miles.

Methinks a good German factor worker had one too many beers at lunch.
Are you sure it was coolant? Porsche coolant is pink.

Did you try switching on the ignition? Once you lose about a quart, on the 981, there'd be a low coolant message come up on the OBC.

Could it have been windshield washer fluid? The stuff Porsche uses is a light green, as this appears. ...or maybe it's just the lighting.

Maybe your new 981 was just disappointed that it didn't have a chance to get out over Thanksgiving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2015 11:59AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
It sure felt like coolant - very slick, but could have been washer fluid too. It was definitely green in color. I did check the coolant level and it was below the MIN mark on the tank.

And there is no doubt that it was needing to be driven over the holiday. I will try to remedy that after it gets back from the dealer and installation of Xpel clear film on Wednesday.
I had the low coolant level message come up on mine. There were no signs of a leak. I added about a cup of distilled water which got rid of the warning. I drove it to the dealer (60 mi. away). They pressure tested it and found no signs of a leak anywhere. They added about 30 oz of coolant mix. They thought that there might have been some air still in the system from when it was filled.

The little float where you check the fluid level in the 981 only takes about 1/4 cup to take it from MIN to MAX.

The other thing that made me wonder if it was your windshield washer fluid was the location. The leak seemed to be coming from the area in front of the driver where the windshield washer tank is located.

It will be interesting to know what the dealer finds.

Looking forward to hearing what your impressions are once you've had a chance to drive it for a few hundred miles.
Wrong color. Wrong place too, for most leaks. Looks like wiper fluid. Not simply AC condensation tat picked up some gunk along the way?

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
Wrong color. Wrong place too, for most leaks. Looks like wiper fluid. Not simply AC condensation tat picked up some gunk along the way?

Agree about the wiper fluid. Not likely that car has picked up much gunk in the 27 miles of its life. winking smiley
General garage floor gunk, though. I've seen my share of the stuff over the decades.
The word I get is the new cars have very little margin between too low and too full of coolant. The techs complain it is tough to get the level right and if too much coolant is added it can be expelled and look like a coolant leak. It is best to add coolant or distilled water, in very small amounts to creep up on the "right" level.

Still you are doing the right thing having the car checked.
it has a very short range from min to max and can get stuck. (I observed this with my car about two years ago, even though it was the updated replacement.) It's a flaky little pin float thing, and has ambiguous (at least to me) min/max indicators.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2015 12:00PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login