Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Hey folks - are there any easy (i.e. a kit) ways to configure the newer looking LED brake lights on an older Boxster? I know about the HID lights as that's fairly doable if you want to pay for them, but I haven't ever seen anything like this for sale - yet being as how many older cars out there that folks might like this feature, it would seem someone would be selling them?
Thanks
I bought it a long time ago (10+ years) on eBay.

Looking now on eBay I see some available. Mine was plug-and-play (no extra wiring or "load resistors", which are unnecessary).
I got some clear DEPO LED lights on EBay. DEPO seems to be the most common aftermarket brand, average quality and fit. However beware that if you go the plug and play route you will only get one LED section which is for the brake lights. The second set is for "fog" which is a complete waste of LEDs IMHO. I rewired mine to utilize the "fog" section for the running lights. If you rewire, it requires some soldering and 2 LED dimmers (must be LED dimmer $5ea on EBay) otherwise the lights are too bright and blind other drivers. Hope that helps.
thanks Naples986 - when you say they are too bright - you're talking about the rear lights right? and the rear fog section (i guess this is the light that comes on in the rear when you pull the light switch out the 2 levels? the one essentially not used by most folks) at that is what you are talking about? (after re-wiring it to serve as part of a daytime running lights?)

i wouldn't be rewiring anything. just upgrading what comes in the kit.

these look like a bunch of individual led lights - ~20 or 30 of them for the rear led brake lights........these DEPO ones on ebay. Don't the newer Porsche's have more LED "bar" type lights - stuff that resembles a thin strip of led light (vs. these rows of small lights like in the DEPO)? Ideally I would like to find a kit that resembles that. Maybe this is dreaming....?
Both LED sections (brake & fog) are bright, however since you only use the brake lights for a short time it's not a problem and in fog you want it bright so again not a problem. I was referring to my rewire, which you are not doing so this is not an issue for you.

I think Porsche makes an LED set that works for the 986, if I remember correctly it's about 3x the price of the DEPO set and looked the same (no light bar).
Naples
Do you have any wiring instructions to convert the fog light part of the Depo rear light set to be used for running lights?

Joe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login