Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
When production of the current 981 Boxster / Cayman is done. You'll be able to order your new 718 Cayman or 718 Boxster with the flat 4 turbo.

The Cayman will be the entry level car, with the Boxster being more expensive, as both will be similar except for the roof (unlike in the past confused smiley )

[www.autoblog.com]
I find it surprising that the 718 base will have less HP than the outgoing model given the HP numbers they are quoting for the 718 S and GTS models.
Where were you able to find the specs for the 817?
I searched for "porsche 718 weight". It came up with some results for the old model and for the new one.

This is the article I pulled that data from:
[carsintrend.com]
Boxsterra
I searched for "porsche 718 weight". It came up with some results for the old model and for the new one.

This is the article I pulled that data from:
[carsintrend.com]

Not sure when that article was published, but it seems to contain a lot of speculation, rather than fact.

Porsche managed a 120 lbs weight reduction from the 981S to the Spyder. Some of that is due to the elimination of AC, stereo and roof sound deadening, motor and transmission, among other things. I doubt that they'll eliminate those things on the 718 Boxster / Cayman. That means they'd have to find a way of shaving somewhere around 200 lbs off the current cars. I don't see the turbo 4 engine weighing that much less.

I also just noticed that it states (under the picture) that the article was prepared based on "peer reviews and rumors from the Internet".

I'm sure we'll have more information soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 718 Boxster / Cayman introduced as early as the Detroit Auto Show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2015 10:42AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Fair enough
Boxsterra - 8 years ago
I would take a less powerful car with the same power/weight any day.
More powerful, heavier. Not a good decision IMO.

(based on the links you included in the other thread)
Yeah. It could be a false memory, but my 2100 pound 912 felt more nimble than either the 986 or 981. Good ol' Inertia, I guess. Of course, the 912's 0-60 time would definitely feel "quaint," to say the least.
Not all that important, but maybe now they will report sales figures combined as "718 sales" rather than separately as Boxster and Cayman sales. They have never reported variants of the 911 (such as the Cab) separately. It always seemed to me that sales reports of the 981 appeared less significant by splitting them up.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
A somewhat contrarian opinion:

The 718 tag is purely marketing attempt to ease the loss of two cylinders and NA. Shocking as it sounds, and sacrilege around here, the Boxster name never carried much status, and it's sales numbers are nothing to write home about. It's referred to as a Boxster, not as a Porsche. Many don't even consider it a "real" Porsche. Now that the revised Boxster doesn't have the same engines as a "real" Porsche, Boxster name prestige slips further, so why not dump the Boxster name completely, focus on the Porsche tag, and use the number 718, stretching to link the new offering to a historic Porsche race car?

Porsche marketing is trying to make the best of a bad situation.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 05:04AM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
Don't think the number thing will help with the Boxster/Cayman's image. The 714 is perfect example. It was always the Porsche with the VW engine. Even when they switched to the bigger engine. It's difficult to get out from underneath an image. Even the 924 had its image issue that the 944 or 968 couldn't help it survive. If I don't go electric, I may one day go back to the Boxster, as long as it keeps its driving characteristics. As Porsche gets more and more experience under its belt with the 4 cylinder Turbo, the HP and torque numbers may improve enough where the old saying, "There's no replacement for displacement" will be a thing of the past. Right now, though, I'm diggin no car payments too much to switch back to a Boxster at this point before its motor shrinks. Right now, as with swiming in cold water, shrinkage is not a good thing. Some day though, we all may be able to look past it.
Someday, we'll HAVE to look passed it winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
.....uh you mean 914, right? Had a great '73 two liter with Bilstein suspension. Loved the car, 911s be damned. I really don't get the whole 718 thing though but on the other hand, don't care either.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login