Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hey guys. I really need some help with an electrical issue in my 2002 Boxster.
After replacing my HVAC control unit (the LCD was broken), my turn signal and hazard lights no longer work.

Here’s the rundown:

1. I bought a replacement HVAC control unit on eBay. The serial number wasn’t an exact match to my broken one, but it looked identical.
2. Upon installation, the new unit blew a fuse. I don’t remember exactly which one. All my dash lights were out.
3. So I reverted to my old control unit, but swapped the LCD panel with the good one on the replacement unit, which worked nicely.
4. I replaced the fuse and the dash came back to life.
5. Now my turn signals and hazards don’t work.

The STRANGEST part is that the signals worked intermittently for quite a while (there was no fuse blown). I couldn't establish a pattern or trigger for why they would work or not. And now it seems they’re dead all the time.

Ugh. Thoughts?

Many thanks,
-Dan
I would nto be surprised if there are some signals that run through the HVAC. Check connections; maybe put contact enhancer (tweek, cramolin) on them, ot at least contact cleaner and then scrub by plugging and unplugging a few times.

My other thought is that in removing the HVAC you interfered with some other wires/connectors. So you might check int hat rat's nest.

That's my limit of thoughts.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
The reason the intermittence was so strange was that my turn signal, when it worked, would flash about 6 times and then die.
When my dash was out (no speedo, tach,, gas gauge, etc) due to a blown fuse the only thing that worked was the turn signal, both on the dash and the signals themselves. In your case, the loss of turn signals maybe due to a different reason.
Mine is an '02 and I put in a 97 A/C module having been told it would work. I think we both learned the same lesson (earlier A/c modules look the same but don't work and blow fuses.
Who wants to buy a refurbished A/C module for a '97?

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 01:38PM by tom coughlin. (view changes)
For about $15 you could replace the turn signal flasher relay (Nbr. 3 in the panel by the dead pedal). As yours flashed a few times and then died, I'd be inclined to go there first before ripping into other stuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login