Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
NBC - renting a car in Europe
Roger987 - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 4:29:36 pm
Thinking of spending a few weeks in Spain in June, and will likely rent a car while we're there. Nothing high performance - just something to get us from A to B economically, don't need much space (no kids).

I welcome any tips - whether to arrange the rental here before leaving, recommended rental companies, insurance, whether the fancy VIsa credit card will cover the collision damage waiver in Europe (as it does here).

Thanks in advance...
I've rented several cars...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 6:45:25 pm
... in Europe (in Spain, in Portugal in Italy in Germany and in France).
I've driven a Seat, a VW Golf Diesel, a Lancia, a Mercedes Benz diesel and a Renault right from the airport or train station.
I've always rented from Avis (reservation from USA), it's always been expensive (compared to here) but I've never had a problem.
I need to go back to Germany, rent a Porsche and drive it on the Nurburgring (it's on my bucket list).
Happy Porsche-ing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
A few years ago
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 7:00:53 pm
I was going to Germany for my son's wedding and wanted to rent a Mercedes...nothing fancy (Diesel, e-class size, cloth interior) ...just a car big enough for 4 people and luggage for 2 ladies for the festivities. Made arrangements from here and when I got to the rental counter, they asked for an additional credit card. I only had one and my wife only had the same one. I could have rented any smaller car with my credit card (which had a limit big enough to have bought the Merc, but that didn't matter). Fortunately a friend traveling to the same wedding happened by and offered his credit card...even though his already had a car on it.

The moral of the story is ask very carefully what the requirements are before you get there.
One card explicitly stated it provided rental car insurance, but there was a catch: There was a value limit ($50K IIRC), and some specific vehicles were excluded from the coverage. Porsches for instance.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
2 credit cards is a very good idea
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 11:30:20 pm
I haven't rented a car in Europe for awhile, but I always travel with two credit cards from different institutions. I have a credit union card for ATM withdrawal and general use. It has lower fees. The other, from a major bank, stays in the hotel safe along with the plane tickets and passports.
Re: 2 credit cards is a very good idea-another reason
patrick - Wednesday, 23 February, 2011, at 5:41:59 pm
I left a credit card in Italy at an Autostrada restaurant stop on a platter at the register. The cashier does not hand it back to you like in the US.
I called my credit card company to cancel the old card and issue a new one.
No problem they said. We can have a new one to you in Europe from Omaha in about two weeks.
That did not help me with the upcoming hotels, restaurants and car rentals.
Luckily I had another card with a different account number that I could use otherwise I would be SOL.
Also tell your bank and credit card company in advance when and where you will be in Europe so they don't cut your cards off for possible fraud. It has happened to me even when I informed them.
I also raise my ATM limits for Europe as most places only allow you to draw out cash once every 24 hours like I found out in Italy when the hotel decided they wanted cash instead of credit. You might also need to change your pin to a four digit number. Three digit pin numbers don't work.
Bring two different credit cards and keep them separated in case one gets lost or stolen.
If you take a few precautions it can help with potential problems that can go wrong when you travel.
Re: NBC - renting a car in Europe
olivier - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 8:30:30 pm
You may indeed consider Avis, or Europcar which you can access online from here. Hertz is there too, but in my experience even more expensive. In terms of cars offer, same system like here with categories, the basis should likely be a Seat Ibiza (local brand the size of a VW Golf). Insurance systems vary across Europe (I'm Swiss), but I would be surprized you can get a serious coverage or waiver out of a US credit card. Holiday memories tell me you get the coverage through the rental price and you can adapt the deductible to adjust (a bit) the price. Get a clear explanation on that before taking the car, you can make adjustments on the spot if necessary.
Have a good trip
Olivier
db997S - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 9:22:46 am
I've done Eurocar and do not like them and will never use them again. I think they are cheaper than Avis and Hertz, but I've gotten bogus charges two times with them, which I didn't find out about until the credit card bill arrived. They can also have some really weird drop off places in cities. One in Naples, Italy, was basically a parking garage. Just some guy watching TV there. That's where one of the bogus charges came up for a scratch in the paint.

Check with your credit card company and insurance company before going to see if their insurance transfers to Spain. Some do, some don't. Also, check to see if you need a temporary European drivers liscense. You can get them at AAA. Even if they don't it could make things easier. When you pick up and drop off your car, go over it very closely with a car rental employee to ensure that every scratch and ding is accounted on the diagram. That's where they will try and screw you. The first time I rented in Europe, I was amazed at how closely the car rental place looked at the car. Touching things to see if they'd rub off. So, now, I'm always paranoid when renting a car.

finally, automatics are very limited at rental places and expensive to rent. So, if you need one, reserve in advance. Also, don't be afraid of sticker shock, as even a Ford Fiesta can cost close to $100/day to rent.

Have fun. It's a blast to drive in a foreign country and part of the charm/adventure of going there. Bring your Nav system with a European card, but even still, use it as a back up and try and rely on maps. I've found that my Garmin isn't as good over there as it is here. You'd think with streets that have been around for centuries, they'd be well accounted for, but they are not.
Olivier, you're Swiss? you there or in the US? *NM*
frogster - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 10:01:02 pm
--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Re: Olivier, you're Swiss? you there or in the US?
olivier - Sunday, 20 February, 2011, at 12:15:41 am
Hi frogster, Swiss I am indeed, in DC for 4 years now. Nice day today here, albeit windy, took my 03 for the first spin (still grinning actually). Another year to enjoy here, and I'll go back to Switzerland with it. Some nice roads there too, the fun will go on.
Alcantera - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 10:34:15 pm
A few years back my wife and her painting group went to Ireland to paint, I had warned my wife about the homes and cars over there. I told the girls to pack only a small bag. Sometimes the school of hard knocks provides the best lessons . The girls got picked up by the local limo company who use a stretched grand Marquis . The driver carefully filled the trunk and the put one bag in the cabin, I told them they may want to leave some things behind. I was told "don't worry we rented a Mercedes Benz!!!" The Mercedes ended up being a Little bigger than a smart car . So if your going over ask " just how big is the car we are renting?"confused smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 15 February, 2011, at 10:59:22 pm
Roger, for insurance. Check with your insurance agent and you coverage. I got the umbrella coverage with State Farm, which covers any car rental, here and most European countries. It covered our car rental insurance, including the day I rented a 996. Not sure if the coverage is the same in all provinces or not.

As far as car rental, you might also want to check with a travel agent. The travel agent who booked our flight was able to get us a better car rental rate than I could find online. (This was 10 years ago - so things might have changed.) We ended up with a Golf wagon, which was great for both luggage carrying space and gas mileage.
longislander1 - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 3:15:22 pm
I've used Avis, Europcar and Hertz. All have been basically fine. Avis in Europe licenses the name, but is not the same as the U.S.-based company. I used Hertz in Italy last fall, got a competitive rate and they even upgraded us without charge to a Mercedes C-class wagon with automatic. At the end of the trip, however, it was almost impossible to decipher the bill and the agent's broken English didn't help. I simply paid it with my credit card and reconciled it once I got home. Hertz could do much better in that regard. In Italy, insurance is included. You can't opt out. I don't remember if it's the same in other countries.

The biggest issue is driving within cities. More and more of them across Europe are creating limited traffic zones requiring local permits where, even if you enter briefly by mistake and then leave just because you're lost, your car will be photographed and you could be liable for fines and administrative fees of around 200 Euros. We parked in Pisa for a couple hours in what looked like a legal spot and zone, with no signage to the contrary. We saw no cops and got no tickets. That was September, and we left the country thinking we had done everything right. In December, Hertz -- without asking or explanation-- adds an "administrative charge" to my credit card of about $47. I dispute it and have it removed. It turns out that's the fee for Hertz to forward my personal info to the Italian police. I researched the issue and found that many tourists unwittingly enter these zones and have their cars photographed without their knowledge. First, they get hit with the administrative fee and then, up to a year later, they might get a violation notice from the Italian police demanding around $150 Euros or more. You're usually OK if you're dropping off bags or parking as part of an arrangement with your hotel. Beyond that, the best bet is to leave the car immediately outside the city zones in paid parking lots. And be sure to research traffic rules and regs before you go.

Ahhhhhh, Spain! I drove around the country a few years ago and I believe I used Europcar without any problem. I'm jealous. Have a great trip.
congestion zones, etc. -- photO enforcement of speed is used all over in Europe. On business trip riding passenger -- my co-worker was driving at the time -- the vehicle got flashed on a Zurich city street. A few weeks later after we returned home he got a citation in the mail. The tolerance is not great either. Just a few kph over the posted speed is sufficient.

Be aware: There are one shot speed cameras which detect an overspeed conditon right then and there and take a pic, but some places use cameras that track vehicle speed (via license plate recognition) over distance. Pass through a monitored zone too quickly and the computer will determine at some point the speed limit was broken and a speeding ticket will result.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Richard H in Pcola - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 7:31:15 pm
RE: Nurburgring, I've heard there are spotters who take pictures and turn you in for violating the rental contract.

RE: Cameras, I got a $27 processing fee from Avis last year after a trip. I've been told that when they swipe my passport in the Frankfurt airport in May, I'll get the details and fine for my speed camera violation. We'll see.
I rented a car in Spain last summer....
patrick - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 7:35:59 pm
I just went to Google and started looking up sites "car rental in Spain". There are some in Europe that you may not be familiar with in the US. Also check the travel sites like Orbitz and Expedia. I used SIXT. They were fine, about $20 a day. Get the best car and deal you can and check drop off locations if you plan to drop at another spot from original rental. Make sure the car is big enough to accommodate your passengers and luggage especially if you are not familiar with the models. I was given a Fiat in Italy once that could not hold three roller suitcases and three passengers and had to upgrade to a larger car.

I rented a car in Spain for two weeks picking up my car at the airport in Barcelona and then driving to Madrid, Seville and Andalusia, Granada, Cordoba etc. and then down to the Straits of Gibraltar to drop it off before crossing over into Africa.

Some advise for you from my recent experience. I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 1370T GPS before I left that was preloaded with European maps. It was an invaluable time saver for getting us around to the many cities, hotels, sites and attractions we visited. There was a bonus that I found out about this GPS. It started chiming at certain points on the freeways. I did not realize at first that it was warning me of their notorious speed cameras. I wondered why I never saw a police car on the freeways. Spain's freeways are loaded with hundreds of speed cameras so be forewarned. The freeway speed limits change frequently especially at of tunnels where they have speed cameras mounted at the entrances and exits. Even the small towns have them everywhere. I thought I would have 50 tickets waiting for me when I got back. Once I knew what those cameras looked like I freaked out every time I saw them because they are everywhere. Do an update to your GPS to get the most current locations of speed cameras.

Some cities it is very difficult and expensive to find parking. Some of our hotels charged as much as $25 a day for parking but it was secure and off the street. Street parking is iffy and you could get sideswiped like I did. I got a parking ticket because I did not understand the time restrictions for the zone from the sign which was located down the street. I asked about it and showed it to the cops. They were great and ripped it up.
Also there is a way to negate the fine by paying the parking amount. Talk to a cop if you get a parking ticket and show it to them. They cut the tourists a break.

Lastly, dress up and bring nice clothes. Don't wear baseball hats, team shirts, shorts and sneakers. You will stick out like a sore thumb and be stereotyped.
Spaniards dress well especially at night to the 9's. Don't look or act like an ugly, slovenly American. One thing I loved about Spain is how polite and civil the people are.Try to speak some Spanish. You will be treated better and with more respect.

Don't think about going to Spain do it.
a reply to this and other posts in this thread
frogster - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 10:00:09 pm
having lived 27 years in switzerland, i have rented many cars there and all over europe. my personal preference has always been sixt and europcar. i have found avis and hertz to be significantly more expensive for the identical cars. they'll all get you for traffic fines or damage to the car.
never would a ford fiesta cost $100/day to rent. i just looked and you can get a Seat Leon (seat is VW) for $320 for a week at europcar.com. i highly recommend getting a VW or Seat (seats are all on VW platforms) over a french car. trust me smiling smiley definitely rent it online here before you go. try and get a AAA discount or your credit card or frequent flyer card, etc.

three summers ago we rented a golf diesel at the asturias airport in spain and drove around galicia for 11 days. went to santiago de compostella which was really great. don't forget that gas in europe is way more expensive than in n. america. spain is amongst the cheapest in europe though. and since oil is priced in US dollars and the euro is very weak right now, it might be quite high. a diesel really makes sense. the golf we had was plenty quick and so easy to drive since you didn't have to downshift to get moving.

i know you didn't ask about hotels but a suggestion is to check out the paradores. they are authentic old spanish "inns" for travellers. some of them quite luxurious. you can get a 5 night card that can be used at most of them that works out quite economically. we went to about 6 or so on our trip and we've been to a few others elsewhere. check out their website at pardor.es and you can see pictures of some of the ones we stayed at on our picassa account.
i've spent many years in spain if you add it all up. food and wine are fantastic, people are great, geography can be incredible, and so on. don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Re: a reply to this and other posts in this thread
joeve - Thursday, 17 February, 2011, at 5:49:27 pm
ditto on Sixt. I have used them numerous times in scandinavia and found them to be reasonably priced and the insurance included in the price. Cost about $70-80 per day inclusive.

Joe
that way should something unusual happen like a lost or stolen passport, you can use the copy to convince the nice people at the US Embassy to get you home.
Thanks everyone, for the tips
Roger987 - Thursday, 17 February, 2011, at 4:37:05 pm
Once again, it's not (just) the cars, it's the people!
Switzerland in June might be nicer and a whole lot closer...
Burg Boxster - Thursday, 17 February, 2011, at 5:07:21 pm
as in Little Switzerland, NC for BRBS XIII

You'll still need passports but no rental car as you can drive your Boxster to, from, and while there grinning smiley

Next year, right? winking smiley
Wait a minute, why can't he
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 17 February, 2011, at 6:29:32 pm
see both Switzerlands? After all, BRBS is the first week. That still leaves 3 weeks for Spain and the other Switzerland. winking smiley
thumbs up Excellent point, Guenter... *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 18 February, 2011, at 2:43:20 pm
Re: thumbs up Excellent point, Guenter...
Alcantera - Monday, 21 February, 2011, at 3:56:27 pm
These are all great tips however you can save much more money by using a discount airline may I suggest [www.youtube.com] .
Be careful and inspect the car carefully
wewannaporsche - Thursday, 24 February, 2011, at 3:01:16 pm
I have rented many times mostly in Germany and have never had a problem until the last time. I rented from AVIS and when I brought the car back they found a scratch and charged me over $600.00. I used my charge card but getting have been waiting for 5+ months for them to cover it on the insurance, they are waiting for AVIS to provide paperwork. He is a picture of the scratch, in the US this would not even be an issue; for example Enterprise forgives any scratches less than 5 inches and all bumper scratches.

I know I didn't scratch the car it might have happen while parked somewhere

I usually rent through AutoEurope, the are a consolidator and you get a voucher for the car, this time it was AVIS.
Re: Be careful and inspect the car carefully
jwdbox - Thursday, 24 February, 2011, at 3:52:15 pm
I concur with the importance of being extremely thorough in checking the car over before taking it and having ANY marks, dents, etc. noted. I had a similar occurrence with Hertz, also in Germany, but my client was able to argue them out of the additional charge. Other EU countries seem a bit less intense in their desire to find reasons for additional charges, but I rather be uber careful on the pick-up stage then allow them the opportunity. cool smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login