Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I have seen this posted on the forms before, but I have not found any explanation for the actual cause.If anybody can clarify this for me I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Sorry It is a 2000 S with about 85,000 miles.
Seen what? *NM*
grant - 8 years ago
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
If you are referring to green bits of rubber like material in the oil filter folds or in the filter housing oil one explanation is one (or more) of the chain tensioner hydraulic piston thingie is failing. That color is the color of the o-ring (or o-rings) used in the hydraulic piston assembly (one per chain guide) that helps keep the chain tensioner positioned and the chain taut.

However, that doesn't have to be the only explanation. The cover piece for the cam shaft adjuster actuator on the camshaft cover has a seal and it is a green color.

Yet another possible explanation is a valve guide/stem seal.

And one more... in some cases the spark plug tube o-rings are a green color. When I had my Boxster's o-rings replaced the tech reported the original ones were just worn out and in pieces. Undoubtedly some of the pieces ended up in the oil and filter. I do not know what color the old (or new) o-rings are.
Grant

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge. I will focus on those areas.
be going or gone. The ones in my 2002 Boxster "lasted" to past 250K miles but not everyone gets that many miles from them. Also, they were probably bad before 250K miles but I only had them replaced when the tech pointed out how they were leaking oil. As I think I mentioned the tech told me the old o-rings were in pieces and those sections of the o-ring that were missing ended up in the oil and had done so probably long before I had the o-rings replaced. Had I bothered to check the oil filter for trash/debris -- I have had the oil changed for the last couple of years no longer having the time to do this myself -- I might have spotted this stuff in the oil filter.

If a hydraulic piston o-ring is failing this can result in cam timing variability. If the debris is from a valve guide seal oil consumption can go up. The engine can smoke at times other than cold start up. If you are able to see the valve stems -- that portion that extends down into the port -- you might see signs of oil on the stem. On an intake valve the oil would be wet. On the exhaust one or more valves could have some carbon build up over and above and beyond what other exhaust valves have.

Trouble is getting a good view of these. If you remove the intake manifold you could set yourself up for some work getting the thing resealed. And all the rubber hoses are probably fragile and you could create a vacuum or air leak. Even removing the exhaust manifolds is a bit of work.

I do not recall if any of the sealed surfaces are sealed with a green sealant. The oil pan is sealed with a black sealant at least the few I've seen. Ditto the cam shaft covers. But if a green sealant is used there is often some extra that gets squeezed out and if this extends into the engine and the violence of the oil will have it come apart over time and bits and pieces of this ends up on the oil filter and oil filter oil. This sealant though is pretty soft. O-ring or seal material a bit firmer. And valve stem seal material is probably the firmest of the material.
Just an FYI.
grant - 8 years ago
I had two oil tubes (more the tubes than the seals) in just awful condition, yet saw no debris in my filter.

in fact, i have never seen any kind of debris.
I did find sealant in my crankcase, and especially on the oil pickup mesh filter when i took out the pan to extend the sump.

G

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login