Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
981 Hacks
jg wnc - 8 years ago
I just completed my first 981 Hack today. I did not like that the USB phone connection was in the glove box vs. the center console. So I bought a 10' synch cable and plugged it into the outlet in the glove box and routed the cable under some of the intertior trim panels so that it would end up in the center console. Not a terribly complex hack, but this will be much more convenient for plugging in the phone and it will allow me to keep the glove box locked. Here are a couple pix:

The plug in the glove box:

And the other end of the plug in the center console:

The Tech No Wind installation is in the works.

Next up is hard wiring power for the radar detector from the overhead console area. Does anyone know how to get access to wiring in the overhead console? Does the plastic cover just pop off, or are there hidden screws holding it somewhere?

Has anyone done any other interesting 981 hacks? I haven't heard of any and don't know that too many are really needed.
Re: 981 Hacks
Roger987 - 8 years ago
A good friend of mine, who has a Bel undetectable unit, ran the wires from his 981's driver side fuse panel (near the door) up along the A pillar to the base of the windshield. He mounts the detector on the far left of the dash, where it is practically out of view to oncoming cars (i.e. police cruisers).

Kudos to you for not being afraid to modify your new car, to suit you.
I understand the approach and it makes good sense. The only hangup is that I have a V1 and i don't know how effective the rear-facing sensor would be from that position.
Well, my friend used to have a V1, right up until it became detectable by the police, who detected it, confiscated it, and fined him. That's when he bought the Bell.

He said his V1, mounted on the dash beside the A pillar, picked up radar signals from the rear, without difficulty (though he never had an opportunity to compare the detection distance to one mounted higher).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login