Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Tech has ordered new window seals. Resealing the membranes helped but the window seals -- the seals that seal the window when it is fully raised -- are leaking. Age/exposure has taken their toll and these no longer are water tight when the glass is all the way up. There is no adjustment left or the glass would push through the roof when raised. (Well, maybe not but you get the idea.)

Seals should be here today or Thursday. Trouble is 2 techs are out sick, and another is out with a back problem. Because it never rains but it pours there have been some high priority jobs come up and the dealer is out of loaners. The SM is asking customers with cars in the shop that have loaners if they don't mind waiting. Fortunately I have a loaner. A new Cayenne Diesel. SM says I can keep this and drive this until my Boxster is ready early next week. He said if I really insisted he would try to get the Boxster done before the holiday break. As long as I have the loaner I'm not insisting. And this Cayenne is a nice vehicle so it is not like I'm suffering any.

In fact in this cold weather and the heated seats....Ahhh. Nice.

Oh, I have to 996 Turbo as "backup" but it is due for its 140K mile service: oil/filter and this time coils. Sure I could continue to drive it. Obviously a few hundred miles over the 5K mile oil/filter change interval ain't going to hurt anything and the engine is not misfiring even in this cold weather. Tires aren't new but have good tread left as long as I take it easy when it is wet. BTW, rain has stopped and we are in a dry spell with no significant rain forecast and this dry spell could last a couple of weeks or more.

Trouble is and this isn't a biggie and will be addressed today is the Turbo's darn battery is going bad, maybe bad enough the engine won't even start this AM. It has been cold -- well, going to or below freezing at night -- and the battery is giving signals it is going bad. The other day when I went to use the car and started the engine the voltage dipped so low the trip odometer was reset to 0. The starter hesitated and I thought oh oh but it resumed and cranked the engine and the engine fired right up. I drove the car 30+ miles to top up the battery but the battery is beyond topping up I fear.

The battery has a 30 month replacement something or other on it but I can't recall when I bought it and installed it. Parts manager though has all my purchase invoices on file -- in the computer -- and will look up when I bought the thing. Hopefully I get if not a new battery for free at least a price discount on the new one.

Have to say based on my battery experience battery quality is going downhill. I've gone through more batteries (brands: Moll and Interstate) in the last few years than I have in the all the previous years.
About ten years ago got a new, dry battery that was then filled with acid and dye punched with the purchase date. Alternatively, there might be a sticker on top with a date code.
Had a Cayenne Diesel loaner once. Not exciting, but not bad.
Good luck with the seals.
on it anywhere. I thought the parts department could look up when I bought the battery but the parts department digital records only go back one year and I am sure I bought the battery further back than a year ago but I can't remember when and after gathering up all the paperwork to take to the CPA who is handling the end of the year trust stuff I'm in no mood to dig through any more files at least today. Besides, the SM says even with the invoice I have for a battery back in 2012 the battery has a 30 month warranty and I'm "covered".

In the meantime, the SM said a tech would attach some fancy charger/battery conditioner to the battery and let it work overnight and in hopes this would resurrect the battery. The tech said after the overnight charger thing he'd test the battery tomorrow AM and if bad replace it.

In the meantime thankfully I have the diesel Cayenne to run around in. It is a nice SUV but I agree not exciting. Now a Cayenne Turbo S... that would be exciting I think but I'd probably kill myself.
the battery was at around 45%. I drive the car long trips mostly. Not around town. That's what the Boxster is for. Anyhow, when I stopped in for a progress report this AM the battery was almost 100% and the conditioner was going through some de-sulfation phase. Car (battery) will be done later today.
Tech reported he didn't find the window seals in need of replacement. The driver's side door membrane had a tear in it so this was replaced. The passenger side membrane as you might recall was just resealed/glued to the door.

SM assured me both doors/windows are water tight. He said he had the detailer douse the car with water in the wash bay and there was no signs of dampness/moisture/water anywhere inside the car. Then the car was parked out in the rain the other day/night and both door bottoms were dry the next morning.

So I picked up the car and it is nice to be back in the Boxster. The loaner Cayenne was nice. I drove the Turbo once or twice just to keep the battery up and it is nice. But the Boxster is still special even after the 13 years, soon to be 14 years as I bought the car Jan. 19, 2002, and all the miles. It has been and still is a fantastic car.

Left the car out last night -- no other option -- and it rained. Checked the door bottoms this AM and both door bottoms dry.

So that's that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login