Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
2000 MY 986. The track car, but still street legal and occasionally driven.

It happened, cold weather, operated the top, heard it binding (the funny fold), tried to "help" it, and "CRACK".

Currently mended with packing tape.

So, I'm looking for any clever advice, tempered by the fact that I don't want to put too much money into a a top that will be permanently removed (for weight and a hard top) within two years, as this goes down the slippery slope to track car.

And cheap but not so dirty mends?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I used it for a while to seal the rear window of my Boxster when the window cracked. Trouble was the crack was quite near the edge but with the plastic window cleaned -- at least in the area of hte crack -- and careful application and some trimming of the tape it sealed well. 'course, I never put the top down with the tape present.

After I tired of this I had the rear window replaced at an automotive upholstry shop. Cost around over $500. Prices vary and could be less depending where you are. The old window was cut out and a new one sewn in. There are IIRC two styles of repair. One leaves the border of the old window in the canvas and the border of the new plastic window is sewn. While I had my doubts about this the job proved to be water tight -- when the top leaked it was ahead of the rear window on top of the top not at the rear window -- and unnoticable. But another way -- I'm told -- is the entire old window is removed and the new one sewn in its place.

As you may recall I recently had the original top repalced with a GAHH top. Top quality appears to be quite good, indistinguishable from factory and a heck of a lot cheaper. $3300 for the factory top not including installation and $1400+ for the GAHH top including installation. Oh, I opted for the plastic window replacement top. Love the nice clear large rear window.
a bunch of DIYs on the top by Maurice. http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement

Depends if you have a bunch of boat canvas shops around. You could also source a 03-04 top planning on selling it when you remove it permanently. And plastic window tops off wrecks should be in low demand.

My sense from reading the articles when he originally posted them that the easy way was a frame-included swap.
Alternate is :

1. tape for the winter
2. get a hard top
3. remove folding top

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 03:14PM by grant. (view changes)
I just knew something went wrong!

Still attached.

Bruce in Philly
ears burning? :-)
grant - 8 years ago
It got much love during Nov and December. Brakes largely redone, all four CVs re-done (boots, grease, special very high temp purple goo); trans fluid, Motor mount (HD from Dr. PEdro), general once over nearly every nut and bolt.

Some of the stereo is slowly coming out. I may transplant some of it to the red car next year - though i will likely truy to leave the head unit since its better ergonomically and codes to the CAN-BUS.

BE well. Come to an AX next year (if the Giants give me any dates)

Grant

Grant

Grant, where are you located? Great place in Willow Grove PA that will install a vinyl window just like original. It's a quality installation, not just glued in, stitched and heat application for several hours to cure the adhesive as well.

John from PA
Send me the info. I also have a place near me that will do the same, but its not cheap, and i hesitate to spend $700+ on a top that i may not use much longer....

And if I did spend that money, i might be better looking into a junk-yard swap for a glass unit.

Anyone know the complications of such, if the entire top and ribs are replaced?

Grant

Grant

relating to putting a ribs and canvas '03-'04 top onto a '97-'02 car. Pictures too. To make it easy.

Easiest fix possible per Maurice who wrote it up and has done several.

2 people or a hoist needed just to deal with the bulk of the top to make sure there are no scratches on the body.

The challenge is finding the later top.

But since you are going to remove the top soon anyway, why not go with a patch till then? Ought to be cheaper and there are boat canvas places that can do it. Even some with a sewing machine with a big arm so you don't need to remove the canvas from the frame, just the frame from the car.
I'll look for an 03 top, at least to understand the cost.

I'll also look into cheap & dirty patching - right now i have the ultimate - packing tape!

Grant

I did one on a TR6 back in the day and it worked out well.

What do 986 hardtops run these days? That's the real fix for a track car, along with a roll cage.
Grant

best tape i have ever seen. really strong and thick. great adhesive.

[www.gorillatough.com]

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login