Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I'M DEPRESSED
babamoto - 8 years ago
Friends:

Hi, it's been a long while since I last posted.
I've been a little down since the holidays when by MY2000 Boxster 2.7 started smoking from the right-rear wheel well. Car is still gleaming black, responsive and quick as heck. But, I think, it was the day after Christmas, I noticed smoke outta the corner of my eye at a stoplight and thought it was coming from the intake vent. Hmph.

When I got home and parked in the garage, i discovered a burning smell and smoke was coming from the wheel well. Not the cloudy, white smoke I used to occasionally see on morning start up from the exhaust pipe, but oily-smelling barely visible stuff rising steadily from the fender liner like smoke from smouldering BBQ grill. I brought a fire extinguisher and placed it on the floor next to the car. The smoking stops when the engine cools.

I'm thinking oil dropping onto the exhaust manifold, but from where? Cam cover? Broken oil filler tube? Gunky AOS. No oil leaking onto the ground, but it could be getting trapped in "the canyon," no? "RMS"?

Any of you guys had this happen to your baby? All replies appreciated.

babamoto

PS: 98,000 miles on the odometer / M96 is running smooth and strong
... a leaky spark plug tube or o-ring.
If it's on cylinder 3 then it would drip right onto the cat which gets really hot.
Easy fix if that's the case.
You'll have to get under the car to take a look.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Hi, Pedro! "Leaky spark plug tube or o-ring..."
Thanks! Preparing to jack 'er up and take a look.

babamoto
Smoke from the wheel well suggests external combustion - which means basically an oil leak.

So little danger to further damage and relatively cheap to fix.

Step #1 - find the oil.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Grant:

Thanks. I remember your posts for years ago when I was on PPBB and Pedro's more. Hope you are doing well.

babamoto

PS: Flashlight, floor jack and tools ready for some DIY exploration this week.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login