Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
A couple years ago I could hear clicking/tapping noise of sorts when going over certain types of road irregularities. Eventually I narrowed it down to something to do with the passenger seat when unoccupied. I asked the dealer to look into it, and their conclusion was that the no-option manually adjusted seat mechanism has looser clearances or doesn't keep the mechanism in tension as much as the optional electric seats do. Fortunately, between having the seat occupied from time to time, and a little pushing and pulling here and there, the noise pretty much went away.
In the past couple months, though, it seemed the noise was back. With renewed determination, I experimented with cloth stuffed between the seat back and the squab, bolsters; and pushing lumps of Mortite (rope caulk) around the back panel, and into various parts of the pivoting mechanisms, tracks, release latches, etc., but to no avail.
Then, a couple weeks ago I poked at the flip-up small panels that partly fill the top-to-body gaps on either side when the top is down. Turns out these things can make the ticky-tacky noise, particularly in my case on the passenger side. They are each made up of two plastic panels, and it could be they're tapping against one another. I stuffed a lump of Mortite between the "bottom" piece and the roll bar assembly, leaving it there for a couple weeks. Having taken the Mortite out a few days ago it seems to be fine... for now at least. When I go to the dealer for the car's just-about-to-come-out-of-warranty service (got a running checklist going) and oil change, I'll see if they can do an adjustment or something to prevent the noise from recurring.
Here's a picture of the panel. You can see the smudge left behind by where the Mortite was positioned.

By the way, I used to have a nicely shaped piece of felt on the panel adjacent to the seat belt, as the latch would sometime rattle, but, duh, by merely keeping the latch where you see it, that is "wedged" against its panel slot, the felt became unnecessary and has been removed. I only need to have the latch put back to that position after use.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 04:56PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login