Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Apparently one has to look like that guy to qualify to qualify for ownership.
Car and Driver gave the new blown 911s (base and S) good reviews, particularly the new engines. But, those are still flat sixes, just smaller displacement. Not sure what will happen when they drop two cylinders for the 718. Exterior tweaks on the 718 look nice.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
So, what do they mean by "direct steering"?
With the location of the turbo, the driver won't need heated seats!

Chris - '01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black ; '87 944 Turbo (track beast) ; '86 944 - needs a new home!
Crooster
With the location of the turbo, the driver won't need heated seats!

....or Bose the finger smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
looks nice, but...
SMILIN - 8 years ago
I need more right leg room. please Porsche, dump that intrusive center console.
Torque
Boxsterra - 8 years ago
The 718 S has more HP and torque than the 981 S.

Does anyone know if it has more low-end torque? I had the graph up on Porsche.com but now I can't find it.
Re: Torque
Laz - 8 years ago
The graph for the 718 S is at the Interactive Microsite for the model:
718SMicrosite
Scroll down to the "They have power." section.
Keep scrolling and the graph will appear just below the engine image.

Couldn't find a 981 S Boxster graph online, but will post a picture from its brochure shortly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 03:26PM by Laz. (view changes)

I have to say - that torque curve is very impressive - big torque, early and continuous. The h.p is impressive, too, more than the 981S at any given rev point. Remarkable what Porsche has managed to squeeze from a 4-banger.

MikenOH may have a new racer on his hands... winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2016 03:30PM by Roger987. (view changes)
Roger987

I have to say - that torque curve is very impressive - big torque, early and continuous. The h.p is impressive, too, more than the 981S at any given rev point. Remarkable what Porsche has managed to squeeze from a 4-banger.

MikenOH may have a new racer on his hands... winking smiley

Without a doubt, the additional HP and TQ will pay off on the street and track--this is going to be a very quick car, especially with the PDK.
Having said that I would caution anybody thinking about doing a lot of DEs with this drive-train to wait a while and see if Porsche has handled the thermal issues of putting a turbo in a mid-engine car.
I've said before, for people that buy by the numbers it's great.

There are still a lot of people that equate the "best" car as the one with the quickest 0 - 60 time. That's the first stat that a lot of people look for in a car test report. Maybe just numb-bum, but I honestly can't tell the difference between getting from 0 - 60 in 5 seconds or 4.8. There's a lot more to it than that. For me it's how the car feels, sounds, communicates and reacts to my inputs, so I can feel at one with it. My 987 felt and 981 feels like an extension of me. Whether the turbo 4 is going to do that for me, I won't know until I experience it.
Turbo question
Roger987 - 8 years ago
The h.p. and torque graphs depict engine performance at full throttle (I assume).

I realize improvements have been made to reduce 'turbo lag', but what I'm wondering is whether the power/torque output of the 718's engine will 'feel' stronger when the pedal isn't
'to the metal'.

For example, in my 981S, when the engine's in 2nd gear, but at only 1/4 throttle, it still feels strong, sort of like a horse impatiently waiting to bolt, or in terms of days gone by, like a 350 4 barrel, idling along, just waiting for the driver to nail the throttle. My Audi, on the other hand, doesn't have that same 'feel', on light throttle. Its turbo 4 feels pretty much like a 4 cylinder engine until I put my foot in it - only once the exhaust pressure builds and turbo spools up, does the engine strong.

If the 718s and 981S were both running at 1/4 throttle, 3500 r.p.m. in second gear, and then the driver nails the throttle - would the 718 still be quicker to 70 mph, or do those 'better numbers' on the graph depict a performance improvement only if the throttle's been pinned to the floor from the get-go?

I agree, G-man, the numbers are only part (and perhaps a smaller part) of the picture. Absent a disparity of at least a half second (or more), the 'feel' of the engine will matter more to many (most?) of us.
Guenter in Ontario
I've said before, for people that buy by the numbers it's great.

There are still a lot of people that equate the "best" car as the one with the quickest 0 - 60 time. That's the first stat that a lot of people look for in a car test report. Maybe just numb-bum, but I honestly can't tell the difference between getting from 0 - 60 in 5 seconds or 4.8. There's a lot more to it than that. For me it's how the car feels, sounds, communicates and reacts to my inputs, so I can feel at one with it. My 987 felt and 981 feels like an extension of me. Whether the turbo 4 is going to do that for me, I won't know until I experience it.

Guenter--I wonder how much of this is the HP "wars" that's been going on for a few years which has gotten to the point where nearly all manufacturers have added high HP cars in coupes, sedans, cabs and even SUVs. The numbers have gotten so high--C7 ZO6 @ 650HP/Dodge Hellcat @700HP/Porsche Cayanne Turbo S @570 HP--that I wonder if the buying public has become jaded by these big numbers and equates value with the published HP/TQ numbers. What gets lost in this discussion--as you mentioned-- is the complete driving experience, which get's lost in the streetlight GP considerations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2016 08:55PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Good point, Mike.

I think it's similar to the pixel war that took (still takes?) place with digital cameras. I remember when a 4 megapixel camera was a lot. 20 megapixel compact cameras are common now.

Reviewers often commented that more pixels did not necessarily translate into a better photo. What drove the increase in pixel numbers was marketing, pure and simple. The average consumer assumed more pixels had to be better, when, in fact, they weren't. In many cases, the photo quality was inferior. Sensor size is what really matters.
[www.youtube.com]

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Unless there's some salted away under refrigeration.
... under refrigeration.
The problem comes when you want to get it processed.
I still have some CibaChrome film, processor and processing chemistry.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
MikenOH
Guenter--I wonder how much of this is the HP "wars" that's been going on for a few years which has gotten to the point where nearly all manufacturers have added high HP cars in coupes, sedans, cabs and even SUVs. The numbers hav5e gotten so high--C7 ZO6 @ 650HP/Dodge Hellcat @700HP/Porsche Cayanne Turbo S @570 HP--that I wonder if the buying public has become jaded by these big numbers and equates value with the published HP/TQ numbers. What gets lost in this discussion--as you mentioned-- is the complete driving experience, which get's lost in the streetlight GP considerations.

Those HP wars have been going on ever since I can remember. Wish I had the link, but a while ago there was an article listing good old "muscle" cars that wouldn't match the acceleration of a newer minivan. As you said, it's all about winning the streetlight GP. Sure takes a lot of skill to mash your right foot into the floor. Fun. Wow.

Look at the top speeds of the new 718. When is the last time you had your Boxster over 150 mph? I agree it's nice to have extra power, but it's not the only thing that makes for a fabulous driving experience.

....and are we forgetting about the essense of the 550 Spyders beating the V8 Ferraris? I know the marketing using the 718 sounds great, but that was a light race car, not a car that put on a few pounds.
The numbers do imply that from an available power & torque standpoint that the 718 blows away the 981. Much more torque is available at lower revs. I'd love to know how it stacks up in practical application.

Here are a few (approximate) data points from those graphs. The 718 is way ahead everywhere except high-rev torque, which drops off much earlier.

1500 rpm:
981: 85 hp / 155 lb-ft
718: 118 hp / 205 lb-ft

2000 rpm:
981: 85 hp / 200 lb-ft
718: 167 hp / 309 lb-ft

4000 rpm:
981: 188 hp / 230 lb-ft
718: 275 hp / 309 lb-ft

6000 rpm
981: 300 hp / 266 lb-ft
718: 369 hp / 255 lb-ft

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 09:05AM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
For instance, looking at the 718 graph, the hp at 4000 rpm is about 245, not 275.

At 6000 rpm, the 718's hp is 325, not 369.

I haven't checked the other numbers.

Nonetheless, the 718's numbers are impressive, on paper.
Porsche Turbo.

I think numbers are OK as an indicator, but the proof, as they say, is in the pudding. How in real life, all the parts work in concert, the will be the ultimate test.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login