Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
[oversteer.co]

My thoughts:

Turbocharging adds weight, complexity, heat, and increased maintenance/repair expense.The turbo 4 may or may not sound as good as the flat 6. Likely, it won't sound as good; there's only so much a f*rt-can exhaust can do.

Lava Orange? As a premium colour? I'll pass.

The 986, 987, 981, and 718 will all be known 'Boxsters'

Carplay??? Sigh

The 718 purchase price will be more than that of the 981, fuel mileage gains may or may not occur in the real world, and the long-term maintenance cost will be higher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 03:41PM by Roger987. (view changes)
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Don't knock the 4 Turbo. I have a 2L in my big Passt CC coupled with the DSG transmission...and this thing moves.
carlos in Montreal
Don't knock the 4 Turbo. I have a 2L in my big Passt CC coupled with the DSG transmission...and this thing moves.

I agree, Carlos, that turbo-charging can generate impressive numbers, particularly out of a small-displacement engine.

My '14 Allroad has a 2.0 litre turbo (rated, perhaps, with even higher h.p. and torque), and it moves too, as does the fuel gauge during 'spirited' driving
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Right on, Gary. (And exactly what our British lady-friend says in the review referred to in my post below.)
Roger987
[oversteer.co]

My thoughts:

Turbocharging adds weight, complexity, heat, and increased maintenance/repair expense.The turbo 4 may or may not sound as good as the flat 6. Likely, it won't sound as good; there's only so much a f*rt-can exhaust can do.

The 718 purchase price will be more than that of the 981, fuel mileage gains may or may not occur in the real world, and the long-term maintenance cost will be higher.

I'm sure the 718 Boxster gets better mileage on the official (European) test circuit. (nothing official in Canada or US yet). Question is, just how often, if ever, is acceleration in these tests enough to bring the turbo into play. It would be interesting to drive a 718 Boxster and 981S (since they're fairly close in power) in an equally "sporting" manner and see just what kind of real world fuel saving there would be.

With the turbo, you've got a 2 liter engine cranking out roughly the same power the old 3.4 liter six did. How much more stress does that put on the smaller engine? (Again, thinking, this is a sports car. Let's drive it as one.). Then there's the extra heat put out by the turbo (although as Chris pointed out, it could save you having to buy the optional heated seats.)

It's going to take a lot of driving to save that extra $4,500 CDN for the 718 Boxster and extra $5,000 CDN for the S. On the plus side, Porsche says you'll be able to buy a Cayman for less when they come out a little later.
Guenter in Ontario
Roger987
[oversteer.co]

My thoughts:

I'm sure the 718 Boxster gets better mileage on the official (European) test circuit. (nothing official in Canada or US yet). Question is, just how often, if ever, is acceleration in these tests enough to bring the turbo into play. It would be interesting to drive a 718 Boxster and 981S (since they're fairly close in power) in an equally "sporting" manner and see just what kind of real world fuel saving there would be.

With the turbo, you've got a 2 liter engine cranking out roughly the same power the old 3.4 liter six did. How much more stress does that put on the smaller engine? (Again, thinking, this is a sports car. Let's drive it as one.). Then there's the extra heat put out by the turbo (although as Chris pointed out, it could save you having to buy the optional heated seats.)

It's going to take a lot of driving to save that extra $4,500 CDN for the 718 Boxster and extra $5,000 CDN for the S. On the plus side, Porsche says you'll be able to buy a Cayman for less when they come out a little later.

Turbo heated--that's a "hot" one.

Putting the styling and exhaust issue aside for a moment, i think the base 718 could be a "smoking" deal with those perf. stats coupled with the PDK. IIRC, turbos seem to work better with an auto and a quick shifting one like the PDK will be well suited with it.
Regarding the extra heat and additional wear, I don't know how you get around it, especially with the limited amount of engine room space in the mid-engine arrangement.
Regarding exhaust note, in my mind the question is whether the noise will be objectionable enough to offset the strong points of the car. We'll know soon.
Gary in SoFL
n/t

Gary, I'm afraid the notion of a "proper sports car" is quickly being lost on the newest generation of Porsche buyers to the point where the transmission choice will start and end with the letters PDK.
I think I posted an earlier comment about how impressed I was with a friends recent purchase of a 997.2 C4S cab. The PDK equipped car with the sport chrono setup went through the gears like the proverbial F1 car with near instantaneous up and down shifts--a real hoot to drive.

Having said that, I've never tired of going through the gears with our 981S and with the top down in the summer on a winding road, it's one of those sensations that's tough to beat.

We recently picked up '16' Mustang Ecoboost and the transmission choice was never in doubt--the 6spd manual, which seems at least as good as the setup than the 981.
MikenOH
Regarding the extra heat and additional wear, I don't know how you get around it, especially with the limited amount of engine room space in the mid-engine arrangement.

I agree. I don't think there's a way around that extra heat and wear. That's exactly my concern, specially for those people who like to keep their cars for a longer time.
[www.youtube.com]

"It just doesn't have that same spine-tingling howl"...

More comfortable, easier to drive, higher fuel mileage... "but hang on, those aren't the qualities of a 911"

Amen, Sister
Roger987
[www.youtube.com]

"It just doesn't have that same spine-tingling howl"...

More comfortable, easier to drive, higher fuel mileage... "but hang on, those aren't the qualities of a 911"

Amen, Sister

Not bad mileage. She said she got almost 30 mpg. but that's Imperial gallons based on her accent, steering wheel and road position. Once you drive it State side, that becomes almost 25 mpg. In the parts shows in the video, I doubt the turbo kicked in a lot. If I drive my gas guzzling 3.4 liter Boxster S in a similar fashion, I get about 27 - 29 mpg (US).
More time watching the tach; less time focusing on the fuel computer, Guenter grinning smiley

The turbo, added to a smaller block with 2/3 the moving parts (roughly) in net reduces weight substantially.

It also flattens the torque curve.

The "cost" is lag ( no matter how small) and complexity/heat as noted.

It seems every generation of turbos has "finally vanquished turbo lag". Funny how the next one does the same to it.

but i've had a built several turbo cars over the years, and they definitely have upsides.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
The turbo, added to a smaller block with 2/3 the moving parts (roughly) in net reduces weight substantially.

(snip)

Grant

Apparently the 718 is actually heavier (about 190 lbs heavier) than the 981

[pedrosboard.com]
a 914 is about 2000 lbs. 986 2800-2900

A 1980 rabbit ~ 2000 lbs Current golf ~3000, or more

Heck, the "land yachts" of the 60s weight about the same as today's large sedans.

All those motors, airbags, crush zones, sound deadening and soft-touch plastics add up!

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login