Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
718 Soundtrack
Roger987 - 8 years ago
I don't think this link has been posted here before.

The 718 does not sound much like the NA 6, in either the 2.7 or 3.4 form, with or without PSE.

It reminds me of the British twins from Triumph, BSA and Norton, back in the 70's, with a loose muffler baffle (and maybe a bit of amplified Subaru flat-4 thrown in, for good measure).

I always liked the sound of the big (at the time) British twins. But, that's not the sound I expect from a Porsche sports car.

My first memory of encountering a live Boxster was back in 2003, near the entrance to Yellowstone Park. As it accelerated away, I was captivated by the sound. I can't recall the colour of the car or anything else, but I DO remember the sound. And it sounded nothing like the 718 in this link.

[www.youtube.com]
... pretty much avoids drawing any attention to the somewhat awkward top-to-body gaps when the top is down. 981 and future 718 Boxster owners need to check for debris down inside those gaps from time to time, and especially any time they're parked near a "dirty" tree.
I can see / hear why the Boxster in the video is equipped the way it is. With the 718, I'd want the Burmeister rather than a Sports Exhaust too. eye rolling smiley
Help is on the way
MikenOH - 8 years ago
I have it on good authority that Porsche has decided to license the Vroombox technology and incorporate it into the 718.15 version in the near term and call the option--"almost sport exhaust".
[www.vroombox.com]

It's my understanding the revised 718 exhaust will sound like a mix of the Vespa and Lambo Vroombox options. hot smiley
"Vroom Box is amazing. The sound is so convincing, I sometimes forget what I am driving!"

Yeah, well, I imagine that when he's on a twisty two-lane road, and pulls out to pass the car in front of him, he'll quickly remember he's driving a 1989 Tercel.
grinning smiley
Roger987
"Vroom Box is amazing. The sound is so convincing, I sometimes forget what I am driving!"

grinning smiley

Was that critique from a CO resident? smoking smiley
To steal a phrase: Listen to what they've done to my car. The thing sputters.
Re: Oh, yeah:
db997S - 8 years ago
I was thinking more of Ricardo Montalban and the Chrysler Cordoba's "rich Corinthian leather." His famous line in the mid-'70s TV commercials was: "Look what they've done to my car." Now, he meant it in a good way. The Newark, NJ, produced Corinthian leather was supposedly nothing but a marketing ploy. Nothing to it, sort of like the exhaust note of the 718.
It sounds pretty much as I remember, which is to say 'good' (for a large displacement twin-cylinder motorbike, not so good for a Porsche).

BTW, viewer/listener discretion is advised - happily (or not, depending on your perspective), the reviewer didn't receive the 'political correctness' memo.

[www.youtube.com]

While the reviewer likes the sound of the bike, it seems perhaps he doesn't much care for the aesthetics of the engine mount bracket at the top of the engine. winking smiley
I always liked the way my 356 B Super sounded......but it wasn't turbocharged and it had carbs. It did pop sometimes. I'll take my 2.7 Cayman's sound over them both.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login