Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
First, let me begin by saying the Suncoast LED upgrade kit is definitely the way to go in terms of quality, simplicity and function. It looks great. Yes, you can buy LED replacement bulbs on ebay but the 3 footwells with lenses included do a much better job than simply replacing the bulbs. Now that I praised them for the quality, time for my screw up.

I replaced all of the LED lights and footwells but had a problem with the lens that goes in the glovebox (which is identical to the footwells). It wouldn't work and I couldn't figure out why as I was easily able to replace the 2 footwells below quickly. After connecting & disconnecting repeatedly and finally calling Suncoast (turns out it was a loose bulb and they have a video which they will send you showing you how to open the enclosure and tighten the bulb) I was able to get the light to work properly by testing it in one of the other locations that I installed previously.

Now that I know the light was working properly, I still couldn't get it to work. That is when I realized that during my repeated connect/disconnect from the glovebox, I broke one of the wires to the harness/plug. Now I am wondering what do do next.

I did fine these instructions for how to remove the glovebox but wanted advice.
Should I try and splice it or do I need to buy a whole new harness/plug? I am not 100% sure but believe the cost of the harness is about $80 and is part # 99761265100. I just didn't know
if splicing is a horrible idea or very common an functional....

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 12:21PM by atwnsw. (view changes)
... light bulb splicing the cable is fine.
You can use a crimp-on butt connector to make it easier or simply strip off 1/4 inch off each end and splice together tightly.
Use electrical tape afterwards to insulate the splice.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

I am in the minority since I like my Amber side markets and don't care for LED lights. YMMV.

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login