Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Spring is coming
Ed B - 8 years ago
It's a little early to put the top down. -19F last night. Yesterday afternoon with a 20mph wind, the effective temp was -36F Too cold for our heat pump. Just put another log on he fire and a couple of cats on the bed.

Ed B eye popping smiley.
freeway to work. When I got to my exit I could not turn the rack and pinion steering wheel to get off. I had slow down stop and let the engine heat warm things up. At +8 F in Philly this morning it is cold but it could be worse.

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
....it's equipped with winter tires. The temperature was 12dergrees an it held the road just fine. I bought this car with 88K on it and it was full of chips and had a few dings. I've never enjoyed a car more than this one where I don't fret over stones, salt nor parking spaces. It's ticking in the garage right now.

Oh and in 4 1/2 months I've put on another 5K miles.
Glad to hear you are enjoying your Porsche.

My cold-story goes back to Cleveland OH back circa 1983..... I had (don't laugh) a Chevy Monza manual transmission. What a freakin' bucket of bolts. We, the Americans, deserved to have our clocks cleaned........ anyway.....
I don't remember the temps.... way way below zero F..... it was so cold, the transfluid gelled and the clutch was virtually engaged. Turn the key and car moved...... yikes! What does a 23 year old do? Get his buddies to aim the car down the road, push, start..... and keep going...... straight through the stop signs ...... until the thing warmed enough to have the clutch .. well.... be a clutch. I think I had a beer in one hand.... knee on the wheel.... won't say what was burning in the other.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2016 06:31PM by Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S). (view changes)
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S)
Glad to hear you are enjoying your Porsche.

My cold-story goes back to Cleveland OH back circa 1983..... I had (don't laugh) a Chevy Monza manual transmission. What a freakin' bucket of bolts. We, the Americans, deserved to have our clocks cleaned........ anyway.....
I don't remember the temps.... way way below zero F..... it was so cold, the transfluid gelled and the clutch was virtually engaged. Turn the key and car moved...... yikes! What does a 23 year old do? Get his buddies to aim the car down the road, push, start..... and keep going...... straight through the stop signs ...... until the thing warmed enough to have the clutch .. well.... be a clutch. I think I had a beer in one hand.... knee on the wheel.... won't say what was burning in the other.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Funny story, Bruce. If you were talking about the winter 83-84, that one was a bugger that I remember well. We had spell in Dec. 83 without temps rising above 0F for days at a time..

As far as getting our clocks cleaned, I agree some of the cars that were made by the Big Three from say the mid-70's to the late 80's were poorly designed and built. Looking back now at some of the junk that they tried to pass off on their customers makes it a wonder they are still in business.
Long ago there was a 24 hour winter TSD rally in late January/early February that started and ended in Portland, Maine. The route ran through Maine, northern New Hampshire and Vermont and sometimes Quebec There was a dinner stop and a couple of fuel stops. I ran it several times, once in a new Speedster and also in my Porsche powered "55 VW. It was COLD. Some friends in an Austin Healey had a bottle of wine in the trunk. It froze.

Ah, the good old days. It was only -8F this morning. Snow changing to rain this evening.

Ed B cool smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login