Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
since you can't release it without the key in the ignition.

I don't think I remember reading about any problems with the steering wheel locks with previous models. Of course there was the problem with the ignition switch itself - mainly on the 986 / 996.
is when you want to move the car a bit in the garage. You can't do it without the key. Not that big of a deal and doesn't happen very often.
I've never tried to see what happens if the "hill hold" feature is engaged and if you were to turn off the engine. I imagine the brake would stay engaged.

I've just got into the habit of turning off the engine, engaging the parking brake, releasing the brakes and then leaving the transmission in 1st gear. That probably comes from years of driving front wheel drive cars, in which case both front and rear wheels hold the car in place. Both could be disengaged if someone broke into the car, so the locked steering column becomes a theft deterrent.

While a locked steering column acts as a theft deterrent. The locked parking brake would have about same effect.
Same thoughts here.
Laz - 8 years ago
Of course, the rear of the car can be lifted and towed off that way.
It might've been Boxsterra who posted about remote hacking, another possible deterrent defeater
Laz
Of course, the rear of the car can be lifted and towed off that way.
It might've been Boxsterra who posted about remote hacking, another possible deterrent defeater

If I recall correctly, the remote hacking was a car (Jeep, I believe) equipped with NAV. Car being in Texas and hacker being in a northern state (maybe IL). Not sure if the car could be remotely hacked with the ignition off. To gain remote access, I would think the car would have to have something like On-Star enabled, WiFi or NAV. I guess something like On-Star would have to have some remote capability left on permanently (Thinking about the commercial with Tiger Woods locking himself out of his GM vehicle.) I'm not sure how the WiFi functions in cars, but I would think it would be off when the ignition is off. Same thing with NAV.

It's all about being able to gain access. With a smart phone, I don't think it's possible to hack remotely if WiFi and data are turned off. I would think it's the same with a car.
fob hacking is possible for any car with a remote entry system. I believe it has to do with "blocking and record/storing" a code put out by the key remote. That code is than "used and no longer available to the key" but the devise on which it is stored, allows the car to be opened because that code didn't reach the car, so it accepts the code and unlocks. A tip off to the owner is that they pressed the remote and nothing happened. Press it again and the doors unlock like normal.
I don't think it has anything to do with the hack I described. The one time when it doesn't open the car is when another nearby device blocks and captures that one code. When the button is pressed a second time, it works normally. Other than that, the owner wouldn't have any other problems (aside from the possibility that his car might suddenly be gone some day.)

If he's having issues with the fob, it's more likely that the contacts for the buttons are getting worn or possibly the battery is getting weak.
Re: That is correct
Tcar - 8 years ago
Guenter in Ontario
I've never tried to see what happens if the "hill hold" feature is engaged and if you were to turn off the engine. I imagine the brake would stay engaged.

I've just got into the habit of turning off the engine, engaging the parking brake, releasing the brakes and then leaving the transmission in 1st gear. That probably comes from years of driving front wheel drive cars, in which case both front and rear wheels hold the car in place. Both could be disengaged if someone broke into the car, so the locked steering column becomes a theft deterrent.

While a locked steering column acts as a theft deterrent. The locked parking brake would have about same effect.

SAABs used to have the ignition on the floor... part of the reason was, was that the transmission was locked in reverse. Had to be in reverse to get the key out.
This was before there was locking ignition on other cars.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login