Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Finally
Roger987 - 8 years ago
Recently, I posted this link to a video containing what appears to be an unadulterated 718 soundtrack.

[www.youtube.com]

The sound produced by the 718 reminded me of an engine/exhaust sound from the late 60's/ early 70's, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I was thinking maybe a British twin - BSA, Triumph, Norton - that sort of thing.

But in the last few days, I remembered older VW Beetles, with aftermarket exhausts. A search on youtube produced this:

[www.youtube.com]

The Beetle flat-4, with an aftermarket exhaust. That's it. That's the one. Even the popping/crackling on throttle lift resemble the sounds produced by the 718.
Great find and comparison Roger. Now just to add one more to the comparison mix. I'd suggest opening these three links in 3 different windows, take each to where the video starts and pause them. Now take turns playing each of them. This really allows you to compare the sounds. Who can detect a difference?

718 Boxster
[www.youtube.com]

VW with EMPI exhaust
[www.youtube.com]

Boxster GTS
[www.youtube.com]
i just don't get excited by the sound of the new boxster. i think it's a sharp looking car but i'm not sure i would buy one. the thought, and sound, of a four cylinder sitting just behind me does not excite me.

i remember one of the things that i liked best about my 2000 986S was the intake sound after I de-snorkled it. oh was it ever sweet. i can't imagine you could get anything like that out of a four cylinder turbo.

i need to see, and hear, one of these new cars in the flesh.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
It was interesting hearing the 919's 4 sounding like, well, a 4, at Le Mans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2016 10:00AM by Laz. (view changes)
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
When it comes to something like driving a sports car, for me it's the total experience. For me, the handling, feel, ergonomics, performance, sound and look are all part of the experience. Some sports cars are strong in one area or another. For me, the 981 has all these elements as a total well balanced package. Better than any other car.

I used to be a really big F1 fan. I never missed watching a race. In the last few years, I've gradually lost interest with all the rules about tire changes (why not let teams decide which tires and how many sets to use - all part of the strategy), DRS zones to allow passing. The drivers changing handling characteristics from a steering wheel that costs over $100K. Launch control - the software guys control the best start of the race. The final straw for me came when the new "power units" where introduced. Not engines - power units. First race I thought there was something wrong with my stereo system. These things sounded like a bunch of Singer sewing machines chasing each other around a sweat shop. Not compelling to watch.

And, it seems I'm not the only one who feels that way. Attendance at races is down. F1 blames the press for negative reporting. I don't see (and hear) it that way.

So yes, there will be some people that will come to accept the new 4 cylinder turbos. But, from what I've heard so far, I won't be one of them. Still, I won't know that for sure until I drive and hear the real thing. Maybe in all these videos, they've just been using cheap / defective microphones.
It was remarkable that the motor was a couple cc's smaller than the one in my sister's bug, yet produced twice the horsepower.
Laz
It was remarkable that the motor was a couple cc's smaller than the one in my sister's bug, yet produced twice the horsepower.

That's the thing to which I was referring in my previous post. It's how that car made you feel. How you enjoyed driving it. And you would know that better than anyone else. (Except for someone else who had one and appreciated what it could do.)

On the other hand. There are people who buy a car for the numbers. The "my car has more HP than yours, so it's better" driver. Mine is faster from 0 -60 mph. ......I'm sure they'll love the new car. The numbers will do that for them. They'll automatically love the new car because of its numbers.

It all depends on what's important to someone. Let's face it, more and more, it's getting to be "what can my car do so I don't have to think". People want an entertainment / connectivity system on wheels. It's a changing world.
HYPOID? NM
Tcar - 8 years ago
Laz
n/t

HYPOID?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2016 06:12PM by Tcar. (view changes)
Re: HYPOID? (edited)
Laz - 8 years ago
It should've had a cap "h."
[www.castrol.com]

And to the odor:
[www.bobistheoilguy.com]

Wow, just discovered this: About halfway down the "Handling" paragraph, starting with, "Sulfur compounds..."
[hpd.nlm.nih.gov]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2016 08:34PM by Laz. (view changes)
frogster
i just don't get excited by the sound of the new boxster. i think it's a sharp looking car but i'm not sure i would buy one. the thought, and sound, of a four cylinder sitting just behind me does not excite me.

i remember one of the things that i liked best about my 2000 986S was the intake sound after I de-snorkled it. oh was it ever sweet. i can't imagine you could get anything like that out of a four cylinder turbo.

i need to see, and hear, one of these new cars in the flesh.

You did not like the 981 either though.

[pedrosboard.com]
GUILTY!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

so i guess what i need is a 917 with a 981 engine! i must admit that the 981 grew on me a bit over the years. it never gave me that "wow" feeling that the boxster concept did 20+ years ago but I do like the styling of the 917 very much. i know it's basically the same as the 981 but the little changes make me like it a lot more.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Re: Finally
MarcW - 8 years ago
If the new Boxster sounded like that VW it wouldn't be so bad. But the sounds the new Boxster make are to me not very pleasant. I guess as long as they do not intrude into the cabin the sounds would be ok.

To me when I first hear the audio of the 718 clip I thought "ricer". And frankly a ricer often sounds better.

Guess you better put me down as not a fan of the new 4-cylinder model sounds.
Here's Top Gear's ride along. Boxster using PDK Launch Control. According to the article, it's an S with PSE

[www.topgear.com]

Here's a guy with only his 3rd lap around a race track at the Porsche 981 Cayman introduction. It has PDK, like the Boxster in the video above. The only place that really has some acceleration is out of the corner at 1:14. This was a Cayman without PSE.

[www.youtube.com]

Again. Do you notice any difference?
Slide 11's video of the external exhaust sound is even more Bug-like. I wish I could remember what my 912 sounded like. When I did motor internals on it, a 4 pipe Abarth was installed. Certainly looked amazing at the very least.
[i.ebayimg.com]
To me it sounded better than the early 911s, which, as one publication, probably CD described the 911 sounding like "an enraged GM bus."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2016 12:01PM by Laz. (view changes)
oh, hang on, I just noticed the volume on my computer was turned off...

I'll give it another go now.

Ok, we're talking about only sound here, right? Not strong torque at low rpms, prettier steering wheel and mirrors, etc. Just sound.

I'm not making this up. Although it's been 40 years since I owned the bike, the 781 brought back a memory instantly. The engine sounds exactly like my 4 stroke twin-cylinder motorcycle did when I would inadvertently knock a spark plug lead off, producing a reaction of "What the he--, half of my motor's disappeared! "
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login