Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Honesty is the best policy
Red_Lightnin! - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 5:30:41 pm
Got a ticket for 76 in a 55 a few months ago in VA. Now, for those folks who don't spend much time in the Commonwealth, 20+ over is an automatic reckless. You don't necessarily lose your license, but an ornery judge can fine you, suspend your license, and even throw you in jail if he thinks you're a tweet-head. And it is quite an insurance hike.

So went to court this morning, pled guilty and owned up to doing something careless and stupid. The judge was sympathetic and appreciated that I didn't give him some B-S story and knocked it down to 19 over. I know some folks would be unhappy with that, but I thought it was fair.

I know some folks get better results with lawyers and technicalities, but just tend to feel that honesty and courtesy are the best policy.

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
top speed of 76mph on...........
Harvey in FL - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 5:47:09 pm
Summit Point race track! I did not know there was a speed limit posted. Oh....the speed limit must be based on mileage and year of a car. Now I understand. winking smiley

Any way, you were very lucky. You must have been so innocent looking in a suite and tie. Thank g-d you did not take Cramer with you to court to represent you.

Harvey
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2008 997.1 C2, 6 Speed, Meteor Grey/Sand Beige

2000 986S, 6 Speed, Arctic Silver/Grey/Bk (gone, but not forgotten)
Re: top speed of 76mph on...........
Red_Lightnin! - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 5:49:43 pm
I don't usually wear a suite - too bulky.

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
MA State cop came up beside me and...
RainyDayGarage - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 5:48:09 pm
Last Summer while driving a steady 75 in the Boxster, in the left lane, on I-95...saw a MA state cop in the rear view and pulled over to the middle lane to let him pass.
He pulls up even to my left and parallels me for a few second so I looked over. He than opened and closed with his right hand twice...flashing 55.

I nodded, slowed, and he took off.

Agreed...honesty and courtesy is always best.
Way too easy tongue sticking out smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 6:20:46 pm
You fared better than a guy who worked for me
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 7:22:53 pm
who was told by the judge to go get a lawyer as the reckless could bring jail time (also in VA). $$$ and plead down but probably cost him a $1k before all was said and done. Open road and no traffic, Volvo.
It depends on your situation
Bobtesa - Wednesday, 16 February, 2011, at 9:51:08 pm
It is too long a story to tell, but I got tagged going 82 in a 50 zone. 5 points and already had 3. 8 points in MD puts you on "probation" or something like that for a year during which if you get any moving violation whatsoever, you lose your license for 6 months!!! I hired a lawyer and got it dropped to 1 point and $175 + $400 for the lawyer.

Now, not to knock lawyers, some are my friends. I met the lawyer at the court house, not before, he said something totally irrelevant to the judge (I don't mean legalese that I didn't understand, he just made something up) and the judge pretty much let me off the hook. My guess is that the judge knew the legal fee was punishment enough, so it is just customary to do that. If you HAVE to, lawyer up.
Re: Honesty is the best policy
db997S - Thursday, 17 February, 2011, at 8:34:58 am
many judges will do this. If yoiu go in and plead guilty, they drop the speed, which lowers the fine, and may even drop any points that goes along with it. At the time of the ticket, it may also pay to be polite and don't argue (not saying you did). Several years back, I got a ticket going 87 in a 65 in PA (my V-1 never made a sound). While the officer was running my plates, before he approached the car, I got out my registration and DL. When he came up, I said good morning and handed him the docs before he even asked for them. I didn't agrue with him, no excuses. I knew I was busted. He dropped it down to 77 and mentioned he did so since is was curtious and polite.
AndyInNYC - Friday, 18 February, 2011, at 2:40:22 pm
Just got pulled over doing 53 in what turns out to be a 30 (it's 40/45 before and after a curve) in NJ - clearly the officer knew exactly where to camp out.
$200 ticket. In NJ I can get it knocked down (once) for unsafe operation and no points. Of course that option is more expensive than simply paying the $200. So basically, NJ recognizes speeding tickets as a revenue generation device and is willing to to allow one to pay more in order to go out and do it again. Obviously I'm going to pay more ...

Andrew
Red_Lightnin! - Friday, 18 February, 2011, at 2:53:57 pm
AndyInNYC
Just got pulled over doing 53 in what turns out to be a 30 (it's 40/45 before and after a curve) in NJ - clearly the officer knew exactly where to camp out.
$200 ticket. In NJ I can get it knocked down (once) for unsafe operation and no points. Of course that option is more expensive than simply paying the $200. So basically, NJ recognizes speeding tickets as a revenue generation device and is willing to to allow one to pay more in order to go out and do it again. Obviously I'm going to pay more ...

Andrew

That's very sensible of them! "Pay to Play"

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
that sux sad smiley little known tip if it might help...
Burg Boxster - Friday, 18 February, 2011, at 3:49:16 pm
yes, sometimes it's easier to just pay a little more and be done - especially if no pts are involved so I understand your POV.

Anyhow, this may help, though I'm Not familiar w/ NJ motor vehicle laws anymore so you'll have to verify on your own... In PA, there's a statute or whatever, last I checked, in motor vehicle code which makes unenforceable any speed enforcement which occur within 1320' (1/4 mile) of a change in speed zone (doesn't matter - up or down just a change). So, you might grab a measuring tape and check for a similar statute in NJ. Combine that w/ whatever variance by law your state allows based on speed measurement technique (in PA it's 10% for RADAR and 10MPH for VASCAR IIRC) and you might be ok and save the $.

Good luck smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login