Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
and that's a Good thing.

Check out the 10 crash-test photos:

[www.theglobeandmail.com]
Wow....you wouldn't think those big cars out of the 50's would fold up like a soda can, but the photos don't lie. The front end of that Chevy looks like it nearly twisted off. I also recall the steering wheel shafts of that era were a solid piece and that in a head on crash they were likely to impale the driver.
Thankfully, the engineering improvements over the years have made the cars much more survivable in a crash.
I agree, Mike. I would have thought those old full-frame 'tanks' would have pulverized today's lighter, frameless cars.

Generally, I'm not generally terribly enthusiastic about big-brother mandating how we live, but if government had a role in the improved crash-safety of cars, well, then, kudos to government.

I actually don't know where/how it all started. Probably Nader had something to do with it. Maybe the insurance companies? Volvo and Merc have long touted their cars as safe, but few can afford Mercs and Volvo has always been a bit of a niche player. Crash-worthiness never seemed to be very much consumer-driven.
Roger987
I agree, Mike. I would have thought those old full-frame 'tanks' would have pulverized today's lighter, frameless cars......

Your thinking is correct, Roger. Those old cars were solid with little give. Resulting in the passengers absorbing the brunt of the impact. New cars are designed to crumple and absorb the energy, helping to save peoples' lives and even prevent injury.

This was the result of our accident that I had referred to a little while ago. We were driving uphill on a snow covered road at about 40 mph, A truck and Jeep Commander were coming in the opposite direction at about the same speed, maybe a bit faster since they were coming downhill The truck (on snow tires), slightly ahead of the Jeep (on snow tires), lost control, spun and knocked the Jeep directly into our path. After the initial impact, a Honda Civic following us ran into the back of our car. After the impact. Everything in the car still worked - power seats, seatbelts, locks, doors etc. We ended up with a couple of bruises. Girl in the Jeep Commander had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance. As you can see. the front of the car absorbed the impact, instead of us.

Yes, we were on all season tires, but fhere was nowhere to go for evasive maneuvers with a three foot high snowbank from plowing along the side of the road.

In the good old days, that hood would have stayed straight and in some cases came though the windshield like a guillotine.

Passenger compartment is still intact even though almost every exterior panel was bent.

Wow
Roger987 - 8 years ago
Your Audi really did an excellent job protecting you.
aftermath leavings after a crash done in modern cars. Things like front wheel making a dent in the drivers seat, or the engine sheering off and being driven under the passenger compartment after the car launched into the air, hit a tree about 6 feet off the ground and flew over a fire hydrant only to land ass end first. In both cases the occupants climbed out on their own.

OTOH, the old cars were repairable at a far more reasonable cost even taking into account inflation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login