Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Indications are it will be about $160K and supposedly be produced in very limited quantities. Buy one if you can, if only for the investment appreciation. Say hello to the manual Porsche 911 R

If you know of an available allocation, please let me know.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
[www.worldcarfans.com]

hot smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
I guess that means that your "semi unspilled beans" will stay in your "bean bin".
Don't believe the rumors that Porsche marketing plants, especially when it comes to the exclusivity of a new model.

With you appetite for researching everything Porsche, I would have expected you to know that. smiling smiley

Gary in SoFL

[snip]

With you appetite for researching everything Porsche, I would have expected you to know that. smiling smiley

That, from the guy who has more posts today on this PORSCHE board, than anyone else.

Just sayin'. winking smiley
that 911R resembles a 981 Cayman.

I wonder if paint options for the 91R include Rhodium Silver. From what I've seen, that's a popular colour choice on the 981 Cayman. It highlights the car's lines very nicely.

Wouldn't you agree, Gary?

grinning smiley
Roger987
that 911R resembles a 981 Cayman.

I wonder if paint options for the 91R include Rhodium Silver. From what I've seen, that's a popular colour choice on the 981 Cayman. It highlights the car's lines very nicely.

Wouldn't you agree, Gary?

grinning smiley

Sounds like you're red with envy, Roger the finger smiley

You coming to BRBS this year?

Gary in SoFL

Sounds like you're red with envy, Roger the finger smiley

quote]

Who, me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 01:13PM by Roger987.
(view changes)
Nice photo!

That is VERY impressive.

It would seem that, when not burdened by fuel consumption regulations, Porsche's heart remains with the NA flat 6.

Gary in SoFL
[www.worldcarfans.com]

hot smiley
How Porsche marketing milks every anniversary, nameplate or bit of nostalgia. Discontinue a color, call it a "Porsche exclusive" option, paint to order, etc. The permutations are endless. No wonder they cost so much.

Love that color Roger.
Re: Amazing
Roger987 - 8 years ago
Thanks, Mike. smiling smiley
I *love* that Porsche even dares to build a car like this. Even if it's just cynical marketing. Even if 99.9% of the owners can't get within 50% of the car's driving limits. Even if 99% of the cars will be garage queens or 'investments'. Even if the entire run is already sold out. Even if I can't afford one. Even if I'll never ever see one on the road. I'm just thrilled there's somebody that still dares build an honest, manual transmission, flat-six, rear wheel drive almost-three-thousand-pound sports car (guitar/bass/drums). See you on road...
Gary in SoFL
Indications are it will be about $160K and supposedly be produced in very limited quantities. Buy one if you can, if only for the investment appreciation. Say hello to the manual Porsche 911 R

If you know of an available allocation, please let me know.

Sometimes it seems to work and others not so much, but if the previous 4.0 is an indicator, a 2017 911 R original owner could make some coin on it:
[www.dupontregistry.com]

I would be curious on what the actual sales prices are for these cars have been.
Andreas has always struck me as an ultimate driver who enjoys the Zen of Driving. From the 9:15 to the 10:45 mark he describes what he thinks a true drivers car should be all about. I couldn't agree with him more.

Interestingly, Porsche designed a 6 speed manual specifically for this car, rather than use the 991's 7 speed manual.

[www.youtube.com]
.....fact that PCNA reseved distribution to 918 and several other very high end Porsche owners and VIP's. Encourages, buy-hold-price manipulation, not the purity of the intended driving experience.

Still, bringing the 911 back to it's intended purpose, before it morphed into a GT cruiser is a wonderful step.

fact that it has the engine in the wrong place, which is part of the reason they had to keep the rear wheel steering as Andreas explained. He's obviously proud of what they've achieved with this car. But, the most enthusiastic I've heard him talk about a car that he enjoyed driving the most in a long time was the GT4.

I think if you want the ultimate drivers car (for pure driving pleasure as Andreas describes it) and are OK with it being a coupe, it's the GT4. As you probably know, there'll be one of those at BRBS.
What you're missing g-man, probably because you don't track you pristine car, is that the wonderful GT4 is designed primarily for racing but can be driven on the street.

The amazing 911R, on the other hand, was designed, ground up, to be the 'ultimate street drivers car.' 911's have done very well with the engine behind the driver. This is the best street driving Porsche ever. Start saving your strong CND $'s and one can be yours' for about $300K US on the aftermarket. Even I wouldn't drive a 911R in the winter up there, but a stock 981 BS.....no problems. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2016 08:58AM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
Nope. Didn't miss a thing. The fact that the GT4 can be driven on the street, as well as on the track, ranks it among the ultimate driver's cars. It just depends on your preferences. Mine happens to be with the balance of the mid engine layout, just like the very first Porsche.

Even Andreas said that he doesn't like driving an iPhone - the less electronics the better. But, they did have to use the electronically controlled rear wheel steering to keep the car manageable. As far as using it as a street car, Andreas even says that the 911R isn't a car you would want to take on the road trip. So that suggest that its use would be to use it on short (I'd think that to roughly be in the 50 - 200 mi. range) local drives.

Could you let me in on the place you're getting a "strong CDN $?" Every place I know of would currently sell me $1 US for about $1.35 CDN, so that $300K 911R would run about $405K CDN, if I were interested. It would just be handy to know in time for our trip to BRBS.

And just to clarify. I'm not interested in buying a GT4 either. Just too much work to put the top down. I prefer the roadster version - or close to it. Much as I think the Spyder a terrific car, I just prefer a 981 S. Just personal taste. Not sure why I love roadsters so much. It might have something to do with our climate where we're lucky to see the sun 3 or 4 days a month from December until March. So, during the rest of the year, I don't mind slathering on the suntan lotion so I can drive under an open sky to fully enjoy the world around me which includes the car I have strapped to my hips.
I guess a numbers guy might prefer the 981 GTS because of its extra 15 HP and being able to knock a whopping 0.1 seconds of the 0 - 60 time. What it really comes down to is the styling between the S and GTS. They're both gorgeous looking cars. My preference is the S. Kind of a moot point now, as I don't believe you can get either a 981 S or GTS any more (except for the few left on dealer lots.). And I have 0 interest in the 982 (which I believe is the internal designation for the 718 Boxster.)

I know why Porsche was pretty much forced to go this route. I'm just really happy I got the car I did, before Porsche had to go down that road.
Maybe it's more about where peak torque comes in on the 911 vs. 981 Boxster S; meaning although more torque in the 911, perhaps* it comes in at higher rpm, thus negating a lot of the potential difference.
Also, I previously reported as to how the ride was very similar to mine, but a little bit harsher, not having PASM. However, the car presently has the identical 19" winter wheels as mine, albeit shod with Pirelli winters. I can say the ride difference (harsher) is now more pronounced. So, PASM is generally more satisfying other than having to occasionally deal with its shortened suspension travel and lower ground clearance. It bears mentioning again: when going over speed bumps it's best to be in Sport mode so as to lessen the possibility of banging into the stops. The body is certainly strong enough to absorb the greater transmitted force due to the stiffened dampers.

* Being a bit lazy here by not confirming the numbers.
Gary--is that due to Sport seats or is the suspension really stiff?
All of the above plus the race compound tires. All the kids wanting to street you is also a bother.

I didn't want the numbers types having a quantitatively based provocation for drag racing. Let 'em wonder which iteration Boxster it is they're trying to size up, if they would know at all that there are iterations. (This has turned out to be mostly conjectural, as I've rarely, in 15 years have had anyone try to play acceleration games; just some knucklehead every now and then.)
MikenOH

I would think with the GT4 suspension being 10 mm lower than the X73 suspension, any type of slightly rough road, you'd be bottoming that front spoiler constantly. Any type of speed bump would be a problem as well as a lot of driveways not to mention northern potholed streets..
Guenter in Ontario
MikenOH

I would think with the GT4 suspension being 10 mm lower than the X73 suspension, any type of slightly rough road, you'd be bottoming that front spoiler constantly. Any type of speed bump would be a problem as well as a lot of driveways not to mention northern potholed streets..

Given your X73 on the winter damaged roads up there....you should know!

"Of the 991 911R's being built, only 356 are coming to the US. Of those 356, about 280 are going to existing 918 customers. That leaves about 76 cars for the entire US market of non-918 customers."

sad smiley

Gary in SoFL
"Of the 991 911R's being built, only 356 are coming to the US. Of those 356, about 280 are going to existing 918 customers. That leaves about 76 cars for the entire US market of non-918 customers."

sad smiley

In other words, if you don't own a 918, don't count on getting an allocation for 911R.
An embarrassment of riches....eye rolling smiley

paying list price are? I've seen $100k dealer markups on rare models from dealers.
100%, if it's a sale to me cool smiley

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Even through you might not be able to get your hands on a 991 R, according to this article which quotes Andreaus Preuninger, the next GT3 will be available with the same manual as in the 911 R. In addition, the next GT4 will also be available with NA flat six.
[www.autoblog.com]

So start making those plans for trading the "beans yet to be spilled".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 11:23AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
I'll settle for a 911R cool smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login